Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By IWF
I’m taking my Air Law exam on Saturday.

Anyone taken it recently ? I’m using Easy PPL ground school via my flying school , but am depressed at the depth of knowledge seemingly required via their progress tests.

Just wondered how others have got on recently

Cheers
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Not sat it yet, I have been doing the tests and mock exams on EasyPPLGroundschool too (after studying via their website and Pooleys, of course).

They seem very good and every question has an explainer attached whether you get it right or wrong.

Sorry, no help at all, but good luck for Saturday.
By IWF
Hi

Their questions seem much more detailed than some of the other on line resources I’ve played with. It seems a lot to keep in ones head, when in reality little is actually needed when in the air
I originally jumped straight in and bought the pooleys books, I found they over complicated things, for air law I also bought the AFE book and found it lacking in detail (maybe my style of learning). I then subscribed to easy PPL training, I found it hit the sweet spot in terms of what it taught. Their question bank is also very relevant to the exam questions whereas PPL tutor was so inaccurate it was unbelievable
tr7v8, scd975 liked this
The easy PPL is certainly comprehensive, though as I say daunting, given the amount of material. I found some of their exercises tricky too, to the point of being bloody awkward for the sake of it, eg VfR equipment in a plane included a chart and whether nav lights should be in before or after engine start. It’s part of the check list but not the regs..
tr7v8 liked this
I took the exam this morning and passed, thankfully. A mix of the downright obvious and tricky regulation questions. Sadly I can’t access the questions so don’t know which I got wrong. One that did come up was the one about right of way between a taxing plane and one being towed. Most apps have the wrong way around. The towed aircraft has to give way
T6Harvard, tr7v8 liked this
T6Harvard wrote:Well done on passing. :thumleft:

Funnily enough the right of way for taxiing versus towing was on my mock exam on EasyPPL Groundschool last night so I'd have got that one.

I’m glad I passed Air law years ago!

I thought the “give way” rules were based in the International Regulations for Prevention of Collisions at Sea. In those regs the towed vessel very definitely has priority.
Ask yourself, if you were in an aircraft being towed, how would you actually give way?
By T6Harvard
On the ground, a/c landing or TO, then taxiing aircraft have RoW, next in hierarchy is vehicle towing a/c, then last is vehicles.

I too wondered why this was so, thinking logically which was more manoeuvrable, but I assume the rule reflects the Commercial airline world (don't delay movements on or off Stand!)?

Happy to be corrected / receive clarification :)
By tr7v8
IWF wrote:I took the exam this morning and passed, thankfully. A mix of the downright obvious and tricky regulation questions. Sadly I can’t access the questions so don’t know which I got wrong. One that did come up was the one about right of way between a taxing plane and one being towed. Most apps have the wrong way around. The towed aircraft has to give way

You can look up the answers you got wrong on the CAA portal, it is not straight forward but you can look it up using the reference & it will give you the group & heading you got wrong,
Well done for passing though. Is this your first exam?
It would be good to have the definitive answer for those taking the air law exam.
Taxing aircraft v towing aircraft, who gives way?

For example meeting a glider and tug on the ground I would expect most aircraft taxiing to give way to this combination.
However a tug pulling an aircraft out of a hangar would give way to taxiing aircraft in normal circumstances.

There must be a correct answer for the ppl law exam question, which would greatly help students in gaining easy marks (and not losing marks on a simple binary question) in the exam.
By GrahamB
Duncan M wrote:It would be good to have the definitive answer for those taking the air law exam.

For example meeting a glider and tug on the ground I would expect most aircraft taxiing to give way to this combination.
However a tug pulling an aircraft out of a hangar would give way to taxiing aircraft in normal circumstances.

There must be a correct answer for the ppl law exam question, which would greatly help students in gaining easy marks (and not losing marks on a simple binary question) in the exam.

Students should be taught where to look to get the definitive rules, so questions like this can answered from source.

This is all in SERA.3210.
But that reference gives a number of answers depending on ATC control, aircraft being towed by another aircraft or a vehicle etc.
The question was in a much simpler form of who gives way without any other information, which allows either option to be correct.
GrahamB wrote:
Duncan M wrote:It would be good to have the definitive answer for those taking the air law exam.

Students should be taught where to look to get the definitive rules, so questions like this can answered from source.

This is all in SERA.3210.

And importantly before SERA it was the other way round, hence the apps get this wrong if they’ve not been updated. Previously taxiing aircraft gave way to aircraft being towed.
T6Harvard liked this
By GrahamB
Duncan M wrote:The question was in a much simpler form of who gives way without any other information, which allows either option to be correct.

Unless the OP elaborates, we don’t know how the question was worded,

My point remains that students should be encouraged to know where to look this stuff up, whether it be in the SkyWay code, or the source legislation.
scd975, Andrew Sinclair liked this