Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I am considering moving to another flying school. I have not done any exams yet but I am registered with the e-exam portal.

For various reasons IF I do swap it won't be for a couple of months. I am minded to sit 2 or 3 exams in the meantime (Air Law being the most crucial :D ).

Will that cause me any added complications, if I start exams at one place then move?
tr7v8 liked this
By tr7v8
Whilst your flying school keep a local record of exams passed, all the e Exams are centrally recorded at the CAA. Your school should also give you a copy of the exam pass and the CAA will send you a mail, both when you book the exam (done by your school on your behalf, but via the CAA portal). When you've taken the exam the CAA portal mails you with the results & any question numbers failed.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Thanks @seanxair and @tr7v8

I know I'll have to change the CAA details to show new training organisation and get the new school to accept me on their system, if that time comes.

I'd better get studying, either way!
IIRC make sure that your old school signs your logbook and gives you a copy of your training records.

Don't know if there is a formal requirement now, but as you are taking your money elsewhere some places can be unhelpful about this.

When I did this I got my logbook signed "I confirm all entries to date are correct" signed CFI.
T6Harvard liked this
This must be an area where the introduction of eExams on the Tasman 3 platform has actually improved the situation.

Gone are the days of students trying to get the school they were moving from to react to requests to produce exam results.

Well done UK CAA, not very often you hear that!

Now about producing some LOs for the PPL TK syllabus, any idea when we may get those?
archerflyer, T6Harvard liked this
Unfortunately, they are not Learning Objectives (LOs), they’re just ‘headings’ lifted from the ATPL LOs but all the detail of what the PPL is expected to know and as important what detail the QB authors are using.

Operational Procedures are far easier than Air Law mind you, as a thought exercise try writing training material based on the Air Law ‘headings’.

Here is an example.

My point is that it isn’t impossible but everyone will interpret differently and thus the opportunity for standardisation of theoretical knowledge, which is vital for the introduction of the eExams, has been missed.
Last edited by Andrew Sinclair on Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.