Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By tr7v8
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Got this on Friday. Noticed while revising with APM Q & A book & EasyPPL there seem to be a lot of questions which involve remembering the various take off & landing factors.
Seems a bit pointless as this is something you'd look up.
Anyone done the exam that can tell me if they saw any questions like this?
By T67M
I'm not an examiner, but I believe from comments on here that a table of factors is provided with the exam. It was discussed because, IIRC, the factors in the table were different to those in Safety Sense leaflet #7, also published by the CAA. Sadly I'm afraid I can't find the thread to link to where this was discussed.
tr7v8 liked this
By TopCat
tr7v8 wrote:Another FP & P question. Doing EasyPPL landing or take off distances, it uses all the head wind or tailwind. Yet in the APM Q & A it says take half the headwind & 75% increase a tailwind!!

Help, which one is right?

And in the Safety Sense Leaflet referenced above, it's half the headwind and 1.5 x the tailwind.

Where data allows adjustment for wind, it is recommended that not more than 50% of the headwind component and not less than 150% of the tailwind component of the reported wind be assumed.

Seems ridiculous to me that the online course sites aren't even consistent with the CAA's own recommendation.

In the real world, there is no right answer. If you really applied all the factors and then x by 4/3, you'd probably find that your aircraft can no longer get in or out of the strip you've been using for a long time.

Hopefully someone with knowledge of the actual exam questions will come along - if even the questions in the real exams are consistent.
T67M wrote:I'm not an examiner, but I believe from comments on here that a table of factors is provided with the exam. It was discussed because, IIRC, the factors in the table were different to those in Safety Sense leaflet #7, also published by the CAA. Sadly I'm afraid I can't find the thread to link to where this was discussed.

The table of factors that is provided to the FPP candidate has now been corrected to match the Safety Sense leaflet.
tr7v8, T67M, bladerunner911 liked this
By tr7v8
scd975 wrote:
T67M wrote:I'm not an examiner, but I believe from comments on here that a table of factors is provided with the exam. It was discussed because, IIRC, the factors in the table were different to those in Safety Sense leaflet #7, also published by the CAA. Sadly I'm afraid I can't find the thread to link to where this was discussed.

The table of factors that is provided to the FPP candidate has now been corrected to match the Safety Sense leaflet.

Thanks for that, I'll let EasyPPL know that.
Hello All.

Easy PPL Ground School here.

We are ground and flight examiners! Be careful who you ask questions of.... you will get a multitude of answers that will just confuse you. We can guarantee what we say below is 100% correct as shown by students who are passing the FPP exam, and as shown by training organisations who are specifically instructing their students to use our material where said students have failed the exam when using other study aids (that's fact, not fiction)!

Flight Performance & Planning then....

You will be given a "Workbook" when you go into the exam. MAKE SURE YOUR TRAINING ORGANISATION HAS DOWNLOADED THE LATEST VERSION! (Recently updated by the CAA).

Before you start the exam, take a quick look through the booklet - it's not all about questions - it has actually got some really useful reference material in there that you can use to answer questions that don't even refer to the workbook!

To answer SPECIFICALLY this issue;

FIRST: Remember that you ONLY use the GENERIC SPECIFIC safety factors contained in the workbook (or Safety Sense Leaflet 7) where the POH or graph you are using does NOT contain the specific factor concerned. For example, if your graph or table ALREADY contains a line or some text to tell you what to do about a tailwind on take-off, then you DON'T ALSO need to add the safety factor contained in the GENERIC safety factors table (Safety Sense Leaflet 7) to do with tailwinds.

HOWEVER... the overall GENERIC TAKE-OFF and LANDING PERFORMANCE factor (1.33 and 1.43) SHOULD always be used!

Remember that the POH is like a car sales leaflet - it's the best you will get - the manufacturer wants to show their aircraft performance in the best light - they will not want to "dumb it down" with additional safety factors (such as the 1.33 or 1.43)!

The questions in the new CAA E-Exams will make it very clear what you need to do since the question will say something like "taking all safety factors into consideration". So remember, if the graph you are using ALREADY contains "lines(information)" for headwind or tailwind components, then you DON'T need to additionally add the headwind and tailwind components from the generic safety factor table. BUT.... you WILL need to add in the GENERIC OVER-ALL TAKE-OFF or LANDING SAFETY FACTOR of 1.33 or 1.43!
scd975, tr7v8, bladerunner911 and 1 others liked this