Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Hello all, after reading many many posts here I decided to register and join in the discussions.

After 'playing' simulators for over 20 years and getting a real trial flight last month, I am starting my training for the LAPL this weekend.

I decided for the LAPL rather than PPL because after extensive reading and comparing the two, my personal goal is to simply take up a small Cessna with a few friends and just fly around my local area if the weather allows.

I spent a lot of time figuring out costs, budgets, hidden costs etc. to make it viable, but my nerves mainly lie around the longevity of it and what situation I will be in once I have got my license.

My current vision is to hire a plane (~£170 p/h) for an hour each month minimum, to keep the license active but to also feed my urge to fly. I have heard there are groups you can buy into to own a share of a plane, but I don't want to be stressing about finding one of these, so currently hiring per hour is my default option.

I am wondering what the majority of pilots do in order to fly once they have their license? Does 1hr for £170 per month sound pretty normal?

Look forward to reading any responses, and it's great to be here
JAFO, F70100, T6Harvard and 1 others liked this
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hi @isherwoodc and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you've done your homework and got a plan - so you're halfway there and the most difficult part is over ;)
Flying post-PPL for 170/hr sounds good to me. Depending on where you are it may cost rather more than that for many, so that's not bad.
Whereabouts are you?
For many, the ultimate dream is part of or a wholly owned aircraft, but realistically, many will continue renting for a while, many rent forever and some who own still rent when their mission profile is not met by their owned aircraft.
As you do your licence, you will get more of a feel what sort of flying you want to do, but the occasional bimble with friends sounds good to me :thumright:
T6Harvard, isherwoodc liked this
Hi, @isherwoodc.

I'm looking for a share but have otherwise spent my time renting at roughly the price you quoted. If that scratches the itch for you there's not a single thing wrong with just carrying on that way - as I may do.

There are advantages and disadvantages both ways. For instance, I flew this morning and the aeroplane was there, sat out in the sunshine, ready for me, sufficient fuel for my trip, clean and well-maintained. I did my hour or so to the seaside and playing around the clouds and handed it back. I rarely have problems with availability and if something goes wrong with the aeroplane then someone else pays.

Not many people speak up for hiring from a club long-term but if all you want to do is fly a couple of times a month, occasionally taking friends and family for, what may be for them, a once in a lifetime experience then it might be the best option and, I think, is probably the best option for the first couple of years while you find out what you want. I am spoiled because I found a great club with lovely people, nice aeroplanes and a helpful attitude - plus a willingness to hire aeroplanes for a few days at a time.
The main downside of hiring (especially at a school) is availability - you may need to book in advance and hope the weather is good. The others are location and aircraft choice - you probably don't get a lot of choice and can't shop around without travelling by car. It depends on the definition of "1 hour" and the type of aircraft - I've seen anything from £130-£250. Hiring may require a monthly or annual fee - and clubs or non-equity groups can bring down the hourly rate whilst usually increasing the monthly rate.

For the hours you are proposing, hiring seems a good fit. If you do find yourself flying more often, you can always change your mind later - and in the meantime you might build up an idea of what yout might like to spend money on and indeed whether you have / are willing to spend money on an aircraft.
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Welcome @isherwoodc !

Sounds like a good plan. Will you post about your lessons? The excitement of those early lessons is fantastic, but later you may want to seek advice or vent frustration. Seems everyone goes through very similar ups and downs (pardon the pun) so it's good to share!

We students have found great support, encouragement, and advice here and they say there is no such thing as a stupid question :mrgreen:

What will you be learning in?
Long term, owning a share may save you a small amount, or cost you a small premium. But what it does give you is flexibility, so if you want to take it away for a few days but not clock three chargeable hours each day, then that is possible.

And it can give you a group of like-minded friends with a shared interest in your aeroplane.

You may also learn something about maintenance from more experienced group members, or you may just relish being part of the wash & polish crew.

Or, as in the glory days of the Shiny Colt Group, you could end up as a member of a drinking club that also owns an aeroplane. (Not suggesting the two activities should be engaged in concurrently)

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch', JAFO, johnm and 1 others liked this
Thank you all so much for the great replies, which have definitely feel a little better about the whole adventure.

I am going to be learning in a Cessna 152, but will see where it leads me in the long run - won't rule anything out.

I was a little apprehensive about posting here in case people said "read the forums, this gets posted all the time etc." so to see such positive responses is great.

I have my first proper lesson later today if the weather holds out so may post back here if I get out there!

Thanks again all,
T6Harvard, JAFO liked this