Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My grandad ferried aircraft to Harwarden during WWII, he was an engineer building the engines for Wellingtons but had his licence so he sometimes flew for Vickers Armstrong (too old for Service).

I WAS going to write Harwarden phonetically but I changed my mind. .. ... :shock:
iantruckers liked this
By Fellsteruk
iantruckers wrote:Just think of all the Airbus 380's you`re delaying from being built. LOL, Ian

Sadly them days are behind us the last a380 was built early this year maybe even last year. They do make all of airbus wings but I think they are mostly on a350 wings you can often see them parked up waiting to be taken by the beluga.

I keep pestering airbus PR and operations team at Hawarden for a tour when covid restrictions are lifted but I’m struggling :(
iantruckers liked this
By Fellsteruk
T6Harvard wrote:My grandad ferried aircraft to Harwarden during WWII, he was an engineer building the engines for Wellingtons but had his licence so he sometimes flew for Vickers Armstrong (too old for Service).

I WAS going to write Harwarden phonetically but I changed my mind. .. ... :shock:

That’s pretty cool, some of the old pics of hawarden show the old hangers etc.

Was gonna say I normally pronounce it “hard- en” with a Liverpool accent :)
T6Harvard, iantruckers liked this
By editmonkey
Fellsteruk wrote:
I keep pestering airbus PR and operations team at Hawarden for a tour when covid restrictions are lifted but I’m struggling :(

Was lucky enough to visit the Boeing factory in Seattle with work the other year and it was amazing. When the fuselages arrive one of the key prep tasks is to repair the bullet holes. Apparently as they make their way up through the American countryside by train, they become a prime target for redneck pot-shooters!
T6Harvard and 1 others liked this
By tcc1000
At my school I did have to wait a bit at the start, but then I just booked up slots multiple weeks in advance. So if you stay where you are, don't book in for the next lesson, but the next 5. Check the cancellation policy - often you can easily cancel with sufficient notice (e.g. 48 hrs). Not that you will necessarily need to cancel if you book in advance (the weather will do that for you....), but it' s a fallback if you get a clash later on.
T6Harvard liked this
By Rob P
I visited Hawarden with my dad at the time they were building Nimrod

Rob P
editmonkey liked this