Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By iantruckers
Hi! Can anyone tell me if there are any GA Pilots in the Manchester area to learn to fly with? I`m learning at Barton but because of the pandemic, all slots are being taken very quickly and the next slot that is available to me is 1st August. All I want is to be able to go with someone so that I can keep all the practice that I've learned so far up to date etc. I couldn't fly this weekend due to the poor weather & I feel that I'm going to forget everything. Is it worth going to say Liverpool & going on their Simulator? The simulator at Barton can't be used for flight time credit as it's not calibrated for the CAA
By lobstaboy
I'd caution against flying with a non-instructor. I don't know where you are in the syllabus, but it will almost certainly do you no good at all (other than just getting in the air for fun).
Simulator work in a flying school environment is good for keeping the skills you have (I'm very anti home Sims for this for students). Thus my suggestion is to use the one at Barton even if it isn't loggable time - you couldn't log time flying with a 'buddy' anyway - assuming that is the school you're learning at.
iantruckers liked this
By iantruckers
Thank you so much for the advice, I will book in at Barton for some Simulator work, I will definitely take your advice, I`m only at the beginning of my learning, I'm at stage 5 on the syllabus, I've been taught Level flight, turning flight & to turn out of a stall. Ian
lobstaboy liked this
By Fellsteruk
Which side of Manchester are you? If Liverpool is an option why not try Hawarden? Merseyflight have seven aircraft and plenty of instructors weekends are always busy but even now looking at their online booking system they have slots this weekend.

If your school is oversubscribed I’d maybe look at other options as you don’t want to have to wait a month for a lesson, if that is canned for bad weather is it another month. :(

I did 80% of my training at Liverpool it’s great but the fees are high and with commercial traffic starting up you’ll be at the mercy of them which means lots of waiting for departure and plenty of orbits to land not to mention having to transit controlled airspace before you get to training area but none of that in Hawarden, it’s a great place to learn
iantruckers liked this
By Fellsteruk
From where you are the difference between Liverpool and Hawarden is about an extra 10mins in the car and as I say if you’re gonna make a move to Liverpool I’d consider Hawarden.

If you have any questions about learning at both or merseyflight which is now solely based at Hawarden I’m happy to share my experience.
iantruckers liked this
By Jfhandel
A vote for simply getting up in the air. Don't necessarily expect to be able to handle the controls (it's not fair to expect a fellow pilot to have to recover the aircraft from any tricky spots you might get into!), but there's a lot to gained from just being in the environment, listening and watching.

On the morning of my (original!) skills test the examiner invited me for a ride in a twin he was riding shotgun on, for reasons which are completely lost to me. It was great fun as it was the first time I'd flown in a piston twin but more importantly it was a great help to just be up in the air and get my head in the right place for my test - which I'm pleased to say I passed.
iantruckers liked this
By flyingearly
I'm surprised that no-one has raised this yet, but I'd be having a chat with your school first: assuming the lack of availability is because of them, not you, then it's a fairly unreasonable situation to find yourself in and one I'd be asking them about, in terms of a plan to improve availability.

My view would be to take your money elsewhere. You're paying a lot of money and there are plenty of places who would be able to get your flying daily if the weather permitted. A lack of aircraft or instructors - if that's the issue - shouldn't be your problem.

Of course, there may be other sides to this story and it might be that it is your availability that is causing challenges too, so is there anything you can do to be more flexible, or find alternative times you could fly?
iantruckers liked this
By iantruckers
Wow!! All the information that you guys have given me is absolutely phenomenal, I really do appreciate ALL the Excellent info that you`ve given me and will look into Howerden and a different school, I know that my instructor works at Barton and Howarden, I'll make some enquiries. Thank you, Ian
By FlightDek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
+1 for Hawarden. I also learned there. Plenty of radio practice with the full ATC but without the usual delays associated with an ATC airport. I even had them hold the Beluga on the apron so I could land :thumleft:
iantruckers and 1 others liked this
By Fellsteruk
I forgot the Beluga… where else in the UK can you play in the air with a Beluga or two.

Was asked to follow the beluga last week which was a bit misleading consider the amount of orbits I needed to do waiting for it to backtrack to clear the runway :)
iantruckers liked this
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
iantruckers wrote:Wow!! All the information that you guys have given me is absolutely phenomenal, I really do appreciate ALL the Excellent info that you`ve given me and will look into Howerden and a different school, I know that my instructor works at Barton and Howarden, I'll make some enquiries. Thank you, Ian

Just look into how to pronounce Hawarden (sic) before you give everyone a giggle. :thumright:
iantruckers liked this