Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Convair
Hi All,

I'm a 17 year old who is enthusiastic about aeronautical engineering and has had much to do around the subject, from using CFD to improve car aerodynamics, to implementing liquid cooling systems in computer's on a budget, I have naturally always been enthused with flying as it seems to bundle all of the interesting aspects of mechanics into one all-immersive experience. Aside from that, it's an excellent thing to do over the summer and to put on a personal statement for a uni application to study engineering. Especially because I have the grades to make a decent application to some of the best unis in the UK.

Someone I know studying A levels alongside me at school just began doing flight lessons for their PPL, which prompted me to think about how I could get involved too, i mean, its never too early to start! So I looked into the different licenses, what the PPL actually consists of and most importantly, how much it is likely to cost.

However, bluntly put, the cost of flying (getting a PPLA) is making it look completely and utterly out of the question, assuming it would cost in the region of £13,000. However, I quickly got over this because I was a while back that the amount of grants available to prospective engineers is extensive, and that every year there is a huge amount of engineering grant money which is left over (probably because of the huge industry shortfall in engineers.) This has me thinking that there must be some way in which I can eke out the capital I need, seeing as it is sitting there somewhere collecting dust and waiting for me to find it!

However, the education institutions which have this money are quite elusive and these foundations often characterize whom they will award grants to with "restrained" wording which makes it quite enigmatic working out if they'd even bat an eyelid at an email I were to send, or if I am looking in the wrong place entirely. Little wonder they don't use up all their grant funds! Hence, I'm here to ask if anyone knows where I should be looking and whom I should be writing to in order to be the trend breaker who hurdles this economic barrier in front of which I find myself!

Thanks for the help.
By Rob P
Opt for a university with a University Air Squadron?

Or have they gone the way of AEF for air cadets?

Rob P
By JonathanB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
https://www.airpilots.org/scholarships- ... olarships/
https://www.airleague.co.uk/2021-schola ... bursaries/

Missed the window for this year, but get yourself organised for next year!

Edit: sorry, already mentioned above on the Flying Start website.
Rob P wrote:Opt for a university with a University Air Squadron?

Or have they gone the way of AEF for air cadets?

Rob P

Well, the same aircraft which are grounded for one are grounded for the other...

Also UAS doesn’t any longer offer complete EFT.
Rob P liked this
By ROG
Join a flying club---offer to help members move their aircraft--clean aircraft---generally make yourself helpful. You"ll probably be offered a a spare seat--.Someone may well point you towards more flying. One thing leads to another.
By Rob L
Convair:
Where are you based near? As others have suggested, approach the local clubs/schools/private strips for help & advice. Be keen (as you seem to be on-line) but boots on the ground is better.

Let these folk know that you're interested in the engineering side of things; you'll get pointers from them.

Great username :D :thumleft:
OP, unfortunately this game is not a cheap one; after earning a PPL you also need to consider how you would maintain it. Depending on whereabouts you are in the UK, there may well be options that are moderately cheaper than £13k. I know of people who have taken out a loan to fund a PPL, but if you are not in regular decent employment I would be hesitant to recommend this option to you.

If you have the academic capacity to go to some of the best uni's in the UK, have you looked into the UAS? Most uni's have one and there may be opportunities to get some flying experience that way. Personally, I would also consider the armed forces if flying/engineering is your thing; they may well run scholarships/bursaries for students in university. You get paid to study and have a guaranteed job at the end of it.
Rob P liked this
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies and for all your answers, be they frank or resourceful. I'm based in London and I will have a look into getting myself on to an airfield of some sort and talk with people on the ground as suggested. Aside from that, I will also bear in mind UAS when making a uni application. I might also consider applying for the RAF scholarship to go study somewhere, albeit a little reluctant to have to commit to the RAF for it. Neither am I at odds with working to raise capital towards my PPE, but don't intend to leave other options unexplored lest it were to save me time and effort, especially as I was hoping to do it over the summer. However, I'm increasingly getting the impression it's not exactly a walk-in affair, not that it deters me. I've already earned about 15% of what I need, but clearly not fast enough to make it for this year.

Thanks for the help
By skydriller
Flyingkeyboard wrote:Personally, I would also consider the armed forces if flying/engineering is your thing; they may well run scholarships/bursaries for students in university. You get paid to study and have a guaranteed job at the end of it.

There is no guaranteed job after gaining RAF University Bursary/Scholarship.
That is not to say that the UAS are not great fun though.

RAF/RN flying scholarships are available to sixth form applicants.
By leiafee
Chuck us a list of grant reqs and we can see how you might wangle some flying from them.

They prob want to know either how does this make you a better engineer” or “how will this get us MORE engineers.

Aviation can play the latter card well sometimes,

Or find a charity specifically alresdy doing that and see what projects they’ve got on the go that would benefit from the help of a volunteer aero-engineer-to-be

https://yesflyers.org.uk/

or

http://www.gethighvolare.org/

Unlikely to get a full PPL out of it but possible to find a route to getting some flying and developing real world opportunities to put your new skills to use.