Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By David Wood
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Convair wrote: I might also consider applying for the RAF scholarship to go study somewhere, albeit a little reluctant to have to commit to the RAF for it.

Hmmm. As an ex-serviceman I'm always slightly perturbed this this sort of comment. It implies a worrying mis-understanding of the purpose and function of the Armed Forces.

By all means join the Army, Navy or Air Force, all of which will teach you to fly if it's in their interests to do so. But be under no illusions about the purpose for which they operate and crew warplanes. The clue is in the name. The RAF isn't a flying club or an extended apprenticeship for BA. It's an organisiation dedicated to war and if you chose to join it then you need to be prepared to accept the liabilities that go with the job - namely that of being prepared to fight.

I learned to fly sponsored by the Queen. But then I went on to serve in her Armed Forces for twenty-odd years. So I'd say she probably got her money's worth - as did I for that matter. So if military service floats yer boat then go for it - but don't treat it as merely a convenient freebee.

Grumpyoldfart mode off....
Sorry
JAFO liked this
By leiafee
The forces actively market themselves in their recruitment campaigns as a way to get swathes of free high quality training.

They also actively recruit more heavily in lower income areas.

They therefore have no moral high ground to moan if people take them up on it for financial reasons.

They can attempt for filter for it at interview if the marketing is just to attract people at that far, but they can’t go clutching their pearls when people ask for what they’ve been advertised.
By David Wood
leiafee wrote:The forces actively market themselves in their recruitment campaigns as a way to get swathes of free high quality training.

Sure. Training for war

leiafee wrote:They also actively recruit more heavily in lower income areas.

Sure also. Always been so.

leiafee wrote:They therefore have no moral high ground to moan if people take them up on it for financial reasons.

Well my comment wasn't really addressed at the Armed Forces who may well be getting what they asked for in terms of applicants. My comments was more addressed at applicants who don't think through the moral (indeed mortal) implications of serving in the Armed Forces. If you join the Army/Navy/Airforce then the bottom line is that you have to be prepared to fight and die for your country. The swathes of high quality training you rightly refer to is generally about doing the former as effectively as possible, and avoiding the latter as much as is militarily possible.

The reason why I occasionally get a little tetchy about this is that many moons ago and in another life I was in a number of roles and ranks involved in providing the swathes of high quality training you speak of. From time to time one would come across someone who clearly had never really considered what we used to call 'the Realities of War', and I was always somewhat surprised to find them. I regret to say that they weren't always junior people either...