Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
JonathanB wrote:
I'm not an aeroodrome or approach controller, so this is pure conjecture, but I suspect it's to do with your transit altitude and the missed approach procedure. Basically it's not a great idea to be in the sort of place someone else might be if they bin their approach for whatever reason.

I'm not an aeroodrome or approach controller either, but I fly with one, and the missed approach procedure was the explanation he gave me. Depending at what point they initiate the go around, someone on missed approach could be at any height from surface to 2000ft (or whatever the missed approach procedure climb limit is) in the overhead. You have to assume that anyone on the approach might go around.

May be @callump can advise - but the proposed route at 3000ft doesn't look too in the way for me.
JonathanB liked this
By callump
Hi

I just noticed the notification about this thread so apologies if it’s too late.

As others have said, just request to transit controlled airspace as its all treated as one piece of airspace.

If you’re at around 1500-3000 ft and there happen to be inbounds for runway 05 you might have to hold to the north until they have passed, and possibly get a level restriction as you go underneath the downwind leg for the vectored inbounds. If we’re on 23 and there’s a jet departing again you may have to hold north of the climb out, otherwise you’d normally just be “cleared to cross controlled airspace VFR”.

Regarding Leeming, when they are operational (weekdays) we work quite closely with them and we would normally pass them your details. If you’re still affecting traffic we are working we’ll keep you on our frequency but if you’re clear of our traffic we’ll hand you over to Leeming.