Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By VRB_20kt
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I confess that I had assumed that a PMD and a self-declaration were one and the same.
By lobstaboy
Oh good grief, we are getting tied up in knots over this.
There will be people with legacy paper declarations countersigned by their GP and I suppose if they've taken a long time they may still be training.
But a new prospective student can only do a PMD online or get a LAPL or higher medical.
By JAFO
VRB_20kt wrote:I confess that I had assumed that a PMD and a self-declaration were one and the same.

They are. A pilot medical declaration is a medical declaration made by a pilot. It's not meant to be confusing.

There used to be NPPL medical declarations issued by GPs. As they ended in August 2016 and the maximum validity was 5 years, they are not likely to be around for long and certainly have not been an option for a significant period of time.
By Crash one
I may be wrong but I thought that you can’t go solo during training with a PMD, it has to be an AME issued medical. After licence issue PMD is allowed depending on aircraft type, ratings etc.
JAFO liked this