Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Jonnerslr
Hi,

I'm looking to train for a NPPL (because I can't quite reach a Class 2 medical standard)

On the NPPL website, it approves the use of FAA registered aeroplanes on an NPPL. Does that mean I can learn to fly on an FAA aircraft or would this only be permitted once the license has been issued?

'Q Can I fly my 'N' registered aircraft on my NPPL?
A Yes, because the FAA have confirmed that 14 CFR 61.3 permits the holder of a UK-issued sub-ICAO licence, such as the NPPL or LAPL, to operate a US (N) registered aircraft within the UK.'

I expect the answer is 'no' but worth an ask!

Thanks

Jon
By VRB_20kt
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Can’t answer your question, but in terms of medical, would you make the grade for a LAPL medical?
By Bathman
And as part of the current madness. You can't go solo in a part 21 aeroplane on a PMD if training for an NPPL(SSEA).

You have to have a LAPL medical
By JAFO
VRB_20kt wrote:I believe you can do it on a PMD that’s countersigned by a GP.

Can you provide a link to the legislation for that?
By JAFO
JAFO wrote:
VRB_20kt wrote:I believe you can do it on a PMD that’s countersigned by a GP.

Can you provide a link to the legislation for that?
By lobstaboy
Going back to the original question for a moment -
It shouldn't really be relevant before you are qualified because the flying school you go to will have whatever aeroplanes they have. Unless you're thinking of buying an aeroplane and learning in it - which is a bad idea for all sorts of reasons!
JAFO liked this
By lobstaboy
VRB_20kt wrote:
lobstaboy wrote:There's no GP involvement with PMDs anymore. They are all paperless anyway
https://www.caa.co.uk/General-Aviation/ ... te-pilots/

Can GPs no longer do LAPL medicals then? I thought that only AMEs had access to the CAA's medical system.

That's why I linked to the CAA page on medical requirements - anybody thinking of learning to fly should start there. Yes GPs can do LAPL medicals, but that's not a PMD, is it?
By VRB_20kt
I haven’t seen anything rescinding a GP countersigned PMD as a basis for NPPL training - but I’m happy to be proved wrong.

Presumably a GP-signed PMD and a GP-generated LAPL medical are submitted electronically in the same way?
By JAFO
@VRB_20kt - I'm not sure how many ways there might be to tell you there's no such thing as a GP issued PMD but, I'll give it a go:

There's no such thing as a GP issued PMD.

How was that?
By VRB_20kt
You are quite correct. But there very much has been, and may still be a GP countersigned PMD which was/is valid for NPPL training. ( The document I linked to mentions it and there are other references to such a thing on a range of sites. )
By cotterpot
....but it is not a PMD

Medical requirements A pilot may only fly microlights as Pilot In Command in the UK if they hold valid medical certification. The NPPL medical certification can be by a Self Declaration signed by the pilot and then countersigned by the pilot’s General Practitioner (GP).

It is a NPPL Medical certification. :thumright:
JAFO liked this