Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Jfhandel
Morning All

Faced with the briefest of congratulations from my teenage son, a grudging and much delayed compliment from my missus, and outright disinterest from my pre-teen daughter ("I don't care daddy"), I thought I'd come here for a bit more enthusiasm for my third first solo last night - the first two being SEP and tailwheel respectively.

Number three comes after a 15 year gap in flying and a switch to microlights, with a C42 being my steed of choice. I'd like to say it was like riding a bike, but then when I learnt on my brother's Raleigh there wasn't a set of huge electricity pylons on the approach nor a copse of trees right on climb out (at least the club hangars could act as a crash barrier in the event of an overrun!). Arguably the road I learnt to ride on was probably longer than the runway as well.

Please, someone nurse my malnourished ego.

Cheers

JFH
Flyin'Dutch', Dave W, Morten and 7 others liked this
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Jfhandel wrote:Please, someone nurse my malnourished ego.

It's conventional here to make these requests slightly more obliquely, preferably accompanied by accounts of the extensive suffering experienced during the route to said solo.

Just kidding of course - a very warm welcome back to flying. :pirat: :thumright:
By archerflyer
Congratulations!

I'm in a similar position, working towards my "second" first solo.

Got to cross country qualifier 10 years ago & had to stop flying due to my job situation changing and then life got in the way. Got back into it 2 months ago and having to start from scratch, but having the best time getting back into it.
T6Harvard, TopCat, Jfhandel liked this
By Jfhandel
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Top notch! Job well done.

Any pictures to share?

Alas no picture of the actual day, but here's a picture instead from a couple of weeks' back. You'll just have to imagine me standing next to it, thumbs aloft Keith Chegwin style, with a big grin :D

Flyin'Dutch', T6Harvard, Rob P and 1 others liked this
By Morten
Good job :thumright: And bonus points for perseverance! You've been added to the list for eternal fame (but just the once ;))
T6Harvard liked this
By Cessna571
We are going to need a much longer write up than that.

When you dipped the wing to turn base, was the runway still there when you raised it, or did you think “don’t panic, don’t panic, it’s there somewhere… you’ll spot it in a minute” ?

I suppose being a third solo, you didn’t have to go through that ?
T6Harvard liked this
By Jfhandel
Cessna571 wrote:We are going to need a much longer write up than that.

When you dipped the wing to turn base, was the runway still there when you raised it, or did you think “don’t panic, don’t panic, it’s there somewhere… you’ll spot it in a minute” ?

I suppose being a third solo, you didn’t have to go through that ?

Oh well if you MUST insist!

Well I’m a little bashful to admit to having been allowed to go solo with only 2.5 hours under my belt for which, as I stand on the valedictory podium, I want to thank fifteen years of bath/car piloting, much viewing of the excellent amount of YouTube flying content out there (great for both theory and regaining the sense of what it’s like to be in a small noisy metal box at 1500’), and my excellent instructor who has been very to keen to show me much of the edges of the flight envelope and how to step smartly back from them. A real eye opener has also been transitioning to modern, three-axis microlights from sixty year old spamcan designs, which seems to come with a free side order of fun - hard to put a finger on it, but it’s something to do with low inertia, lack of avionics bells and whistles, and general…chuckability.

I’m training at a microlight airfield with what seems like more than it’s fair share of obstacles and runways which, to someone who grew up with spamcans, seem pretty short. After getting a good shakedown of upper airwork, the prior lesson was mostly spent being thrown around the circuit trying out most of the airfield’s six runways, rarely taking off and landing on the same one. Given that microlight circuits tend to be lower and tighter, as I stepped out of aircraft I was pretty much sweating with exertion.

I was somewhat nervous as to what the big day would bring but, after having pushed me hard last time round, a few minutes bimbling straight and level in the local area, followed by three straightforward circuits (all on the same runway!) meant that when the traditional "your turn now" came along I was feeling reasonably confident. Unlike a 'proper' first solo which is usually one circuit and then home for tea and cakes, I was gifted 20-30 mins to fit in as many circuits as I wanted which was cool. Managed not to injure ego, aircraft or body, even if the last landing was a bit floaty!

All in all a productive day and really pleased to have got back to solo after all this time.

jfh

ps no worries about not being able to spot the runway in a microlight circuit!
TopCat, Morten, Cessna571 and 2 others liked this
By Jfhandel
Flying badger  wrote:Congrats. Your story sounds oddly familiar.....did you used to fly from Elstree ? :wink: (if you are who I think you are)

I did! Are you a Grumman driver by any chance....?
By Paul_Sengupta
Flyingfemme wrote:In the USA a first solo is traditionally 3 circuits - I suppose to make sure you didn't fluke the first! :roll:

Hmm, not any of the places I've been in the US, whether it be those where they cut your shirt or those where they throw a bucket of cold water over you...