Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By RobW
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sooty25 wrote:@RobW well done! don't get disheartened when you do a few duff ones and remember, nobody ever said "why did he go around?", but hundreds have said "why didn't he go around?" :thumleft:

Norfolk skies were certainly a bit hazy last night, but so smooth, well, they were at 20:00 when I was up!

Cheers!

It was really hazy but as we were doing climbs and descents, we spent most of the time at 5000ft+ so wasnt too bad up there. Im not entirely sure how much of the landing was me and how much was with help, Instructor said 95% me but I think that may be optimistic.

Still having trouble spotting the airfield though, I questioned him when he called 'field in site' I couldnt see anything, I did appreciate the sarcastic "Its there, the field with all the big airliners parked on it!"

Still a lot to learn!
Sooty25, T6Harvard liked this
By Rob P
Standard instructor ploy, they all do it. "Can you see the field yet?"

Hapless student never can :D

Rob P
RobW, T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Nice one @RobW ! Feels good, eh?

For a lot of reasons my first 'all me' landing was a long time coming but I had a double+ lesson and over 2 sessions that afternoon I almost made up for lost time, getting 12 in. A wide variety....good, BAD, and indifferent, but a great feeling at the end of the day when you can say, 'Today I took off, flew around and landed a light aircraft.'

It's great, isn't it??!

:thumleft:
RobW liked this
By RobW
T6Harvard wrote:Nice one @RobW ! Feels good, eh?

For a lot of reasons my first 'all me' landing was a long time coming but I had a double+ lesson and over 2 sessions that afternoon I almost made up for lost time, getting 12 in. A wide variety....good, BAD, and indifferent, but a great feeling at the end of the day when you can say, 'Today I took off, flew around and landed a light aircraft.'

It's great, isn't it??!

:thumleft:

Im looking forward to that day, and yes, it really is great!
T6Harvard liked this
By jcal
RobW wrote:I got my first landing under my belt last night, so that was a bit of a milestone for me, Also been studying hard for Air Law, There is so much to learn but its all starting to feel a bit more natural, Thankfully there has been a warrior released for MSFS so I can get plenty of practice on the simulator between lessons!

Woah! Already first landing! Congrats! What lesson are you on?

I think I'm due a first landing soon, instructor hinted at it last lesson but it was very windy so opted out. Seeing the landing I'm very happy that wasn't my first one :lol:.

I'm lucky flying in the 152, lots of support for that in MSFS :), but to be honest, I haven't had much time at all in the sim since I started flying proper, it just doesn't compare to the real thing!
T6Harvard, RobW liked this
By RobW
jcal wrote:
RobW wrote:I got my first landing under my belt last night, so that was a bit of a milestone for me, Also been studying hard for Air Law, There is so much to learn but its all starting to feel a bit more natural, Thankfully there has been a warrior released for MSFS so I can get plenty of practice on the simulator between lessons!

Woah! Already first landing! Congrats! What lesson are you on?

I think I'm due a first landing soon, instructor hinted at it last lesson but it was very windy so opted out. Seeing the landing I'm very happy that wasn't my first one :lol:.

I'm lucky flying in the 152, lots of support for that in MSFS :), but to be honest, I haven't had much time at all in the sim since I started flying proper, it just doesn't compare to the real thing!

Last night was hour 3, if I count the introductory flight (Its in my logbook so I guess i do!)
Next lesson is 10a Slow flight. He is very complimentary about my progress, I solely put this down to many hours on simulators over the years, I actually find flying the real plane easier than on the sims and I can now practice everything including the startup checks over and over. As I say, I dont know if I can really claim last nights landing as my own, I could certainly feel another pair of hands working against me at certain points!
T6Harvard liked this
By Sooty25
RobW wrote:........As I say, I dont know if I can really claim last nights landing as my own, I could certainly feel another pair of hands working against me at certain points!

that'll be because you tried to push the yoke forward!
By RobW
Sooty25 wrote:
RobW wrote:........As I say, I dont know if I can really claim last nights landing as my own, I could certainly feel another pair of hands working against me at certain points!

It could be, I was trying to keep my aiming point static in the cockpit window, then keeping a handle on the speed with the throttle, It felt all under control until the last few seconds then everything seemed to speed up a lot!

Controlling the landing was a little unexpected to be honest and we hadnt discussed it much before hand, Im probably getting ahead of myself with all the reading I have been doing (just finished making perfect landings in light airplanes) but im in no rush so no doubt itll come together eventually
By lobstaboy
Sooty25 wrote:

Once you get to the actual landing bit, the yoke needs to come back in small steps with pauses in between. It's like a ratchet - you can't/mustn't move it forward (bent nose wheel territory). Ask your instructor about "thrupenny bit" landings.

Check also that you are supposed to be doing "point and power" - that is pointing at the reference point on the runway and using power to control speed. Some instructors will teach the other way round, that is using pitch attitude to control speed and power to control the descent. You need to know which way round you are being taught. Both methods work well, but a mixture will get you in a muddle.

You'll get used to it and soon find that you've got plenty of time.
T6Harvard, RobW liked this
By TopCat
lobstaboy wrote:Once you get to the actual landing bit, the yoke needs to come back in small steps with pauses in between. It's like a ratchet - you can't/mustn't move it forward (bent nose wheel territory). Ask your instructor about "thrupenny bit" landings.

Just to stick a peg in the ground, I shall be returning to this, but not, some might be relieved to hear, in the student forum.

I guess I didn't shout loud enough last time this topic came up.

Generally I very much agree with @lobstaboy's posts, but I think a statement like this could do with a little nuance.

In particular, if students can cope with the apparent disconnect between the diametrically different approaches exemplified by
lobstaboy wrote:power to control speed.... some instructors will teach the other way round, ... power to control the descent.

... then they can understand the notion of correcting an overcooked flare with a little, but not too much forward stick that doesn't stuff the nose into the ground.

After all...
You'll get used to it and soon find that you've got plenty of time.

Exactly. But I'll start another thread on this one tomorrow if I have time. Working on a thread title as I speak, that I hope will not disappoint.
JAFO liked this
By lobstaboy
@TopCat I don't disagree, but I wasn't writing a treatise on how to land (well above my pay grade). I wanted to offer a couple of things that the OP could do now - he's only three hours in, after all.
Another suggestion for him - get a copy of this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stick-Rudder-E ... 0070362408
and immerse yourself in it. It's the best explanation of what's going on when we pilot an aeroplane ever written.
It's a Marmite book - some folk can't get on with it because it's quirky and repetitive occasionally. They are wrong. It's essential reading.
TopCat, RobW, JAFO and 1 others liked this
By RobW
Thought it was time for an update, As I am now in the circuit and suffering from the same frustrations as some of my fellow students!

Last night was my second full session on T+G's, Its starting to feel a little easier, My instructors final comments were "We need to tighten up on the accuracy" and after looking at my track, its hard to disagree, looks more like an attempt to overfly as much of the Norwich area as possible!

The round out and flare are coming, but still a ways to go, I think I am struggling more with this as its the only part of the flying that all my simulator practice cannot help with, there is no comparison at all so whereas all the lessons before felt quite familiar, this is a whole new skill and I have to accept that my progress is bound to slow down as a result!