Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Sooty25
RobW wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:@RobW use Google maps to identify a set of obvious ground features you can use as turning points, for example, fly around the edge of Spixworth, and the farm just to the east of Horsford. Get them on your wingtip as you turn.

Those are the turning points I am aiming for, not easy to see by the track I will grant you!

:lol:

The turn on Spixworth is ok, I get that right most times, the pig farm is hit and miss depending on how sloppy my climb and level off to circuit height are performed, ie, pretty sloppy mostly!

Im pretty Zen with it to be honest, im only 8 hours in total so not expecting to be good, as long as I can still feel I am progressing I go home happy.

In a few hours time, when you least expect it, it will suddenly all just click into place. 8hrs ago you had not flown a circuit, now you are being critical over the circuits you are flying!

The flare, relax your grip on the yoke, no "white knuckles". Tiny corrections and give it time to respond. Guide it, don't wrestle with it. You are flying, enjoy the experience and don't put too much pressure on yourself.
RobW, T6Harvard liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sooty25 wrote:The flare, relax your grip on the yoke, no "white knuckles". Tiny corrections and give it time to respond. Guide it, don't wrestle with it. You are flying, enjoy the experience and don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Why did the film "Airplane" come into my thoughts when I read that? :clown:
Sooty25 liked this
By T6Harvard
lobstaboy wrote:Firm but gentle. Like riding a horse (so I'm told - you wouldn't catch me on one of those things!).

So recent advice is...

If you can parallel park all will be well with flying training.
If you can ride a horse you'll have the 'touch' for firm but gentle control.

Oh well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Shame it's the flying that's missing ..... atm :lol:
By TopCat
The inability to parallel park has a well-known cause....

Laziness :pirat:

I would wager a small sum of actual money that anyone that can fly an aeroplane can learn to parallel park...

... if they CBA.
Sooty25 liked this
By JAFO
@lobstaboy - I can ride a horse and generally get on okay with aeroplanes but I have never been able to parallel park and it's nothing to do with laziness. Don't get me wrong, I am very lazy, but in the case of parallel parking I have tried but I just can't do it.

I'm fine with that, if I had to choose two out of the three to be able to do, I'd pick the two that the good Lord seems to how blessed me with.
T6Harvard liked this
By Crash one
Anyone who has been squashed against a stable wall by half a ton of burgers with murderous and suicidal tendencies knows that horses have front and rear wheel steering, which cars don’t have.
T6Harvard, JAFO liked this