Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By RobW
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Well things have not gone great since the high of my first solo, My instructor has fled back to Scotland (for a salaried position so I cant blame him) and 3/4 lessons booked since have been scrubbed due to weather. Currently due to go up 8am Saturday but that is looking less than likely at this point. Looks like I will have to head back to the simulator, lucky im in no rush!
By bladerunner911
If it's any consolation Rob I had my first trial lesson at the end of April and have had 14 lessons in total. I am able to do a lesson each weekend, but due to weather and a couple of holidays it has been probably half that. Most of the cancellations were during the supposedly better spring and summer months!
It does even out when you get finally lucky with the weather and I'm also in no hurry.
I've used the time to pass more exams and really take time over my study both theory and the flying part, I presume you are doing the same?
I'm sure it will all work out :-) for you and dealing with the ups and downs is good experience for being a pilot!
RobW liked this
By Rob L
Well done RobW :thumleft:

All private pilots of whatever type; be it hot air balloon [e.g. 1780s Montgolfier brothers] or gliders Otto Lilienthal and Percy Pilcher and powered fixed wing (Wright Brothers etc), rotary Igor Sikorski and others like the more modern Rogallo hang-gliders and later, weight-shift microlights. And paramotor, powered-parachute (etc) pilots have done just what you have; it's an achievement not to be sniffed at.

Humans have been on this planet for many millenia :shock: , and only in the last 130 years or so have we really mastered the air.
You are one of them, so well done :D .

RobL
jcal, T6Harvard, RobW liked this
By Milty
I expected a more similar set of circumstances and flight availability that you guys are talking about. I just seem to have generally got lucky with some good weather and only a few cancellations. That said, I'm well behind the curve on study and exams so could do with a catchup.
RobW liked this