Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By tr7v8
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Grelly wrote:
AndyR wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
I have watering eyes now! 2-4-0 per hour.

What aeroplane does one get to fly for that?

A PA28 in the south east. Plus landing fees at some/most places.

That includes the instructor I hope?

yes that is all in.
By rdfb
Welcome!

How much spare time do you have? When the weather is marginal, you might be less willing to commit to a 90 minute round trip. On the other hand, if you can get there in five minutes, you can be at home doing else and just pop in if the weather is good at the time, or cancel if it isn't. So if you choose to learn further away, the progress you make may depend on how willing you are to travel when it's unclear that you'll be able to fly.

How this works in practice does depend on the flying school, your instructor, how the booking system works and general aircraft availability. But if it's really just five minutes, then I think that's a huge advantage.
By RobW
Thanks Everyone,

I had a enjoyable chat with @Highland Park today and gained some very useful insights, thank you for your time today!

I now have a clear plan starting with the medical, then a visit to Norwich.

I really agree with the benefit of the proximity to home, though that alone wont sell it to me, I liked the feel of Old Buckenham, I will only really know once I have had a chat with Norwich.
Rob P, JAFO, davenuk liked this
By RobW
Well I just got back from my Class 2, Glad to say I passed! Feels like another step, I have also taken the wife and Grandkids down to Old Buck for a coffee and a look around, I really like the atmosphere there but there is no getting away from the 40+ mins driving distance compared to Norwich, Next step, is too book a trial lesson at both and see where we go from there, exciting!!
Rob P, T6Harvard, JAFO and 2 others liked this
By RobW
Morning everyone,

Thought I would post a quick update as last week was a bit busy with Grandkids etc.

So last Monday I had my first trial lesson at Premier based at Norwich airport, The lesson went really well, I got on great with Ross, my instructor and didnt feel at all nervous, even though my wife was in the back seat!

Had a great time flying, felt very natural and comfortable in the cockpit and Ross was very complimentary (seems those simulator hours paid off!) Didnt do much more than straight and level but that was enough to convince me that I wanted to take things further.

I also booked a lesson in for the following Friday with Old Buckenham, though upon landing I was already wondering how much better it could possibly be to make the 2 hour round trip worthwhile.

After a manic week off (!) including a trip to London Zoo with said Grandchildren (3 and 18 months) Friday morning rolled around with grey skies and threats of rain, No call from Old Buck to say things were cancelled though and I could see the premier planes doing circuits at Norwich from my back garden, so set off for my lesson. As I walked into the flight school 5 mins early, the instructor behind the desk told me there would be no flying today and that he couldnt call me as he had been up on a lesson.
Thats fine, I hadnt paid for the session and decided there and then that If that is what I have to look forward to, Norwich was the place for me (this shouldnt be taken as a negative reflection of Old Buck Aero, its just a testament to the benefit of living so close to Norwich)

On my way home I called Ross (he had left me his mobile number and email address) and told him I would like to sign on to the school.

My second lesson is booked for wednesday evening and I really cant wait!
Rob P, davenuk, JAFO and 1 others liked this
By jcal
Welcome to the inevitable addiction that is flying @RobW!

I'm still a baby flier on my path to PPL, only 5 lessons under my belt, but already can't get enough of it :D .

Very cool that you had such a good time, it's an amazing feeling isn't it? Was this your first time flying? I too came from having flown a fair bit in simulators and it was surreal the first time in the real thing. Everything is so.. physical :lol:. And like you I was also worried about coming in to training with bad habits from the simulator but to be honest it has so far only been helpful! I tend to treat the simulator as close to the real thing as possible and don't fly the big jets, only GA aircraft, which maybe makes for fewer bad habits.

As for choosing Norwich, I have to say I also ended up choosing the one closest to me in travel time. Living in relatively central London, any airfield within reasonably distance was at least 1 hour, if not closer to 2, drive or commute away, except for 1, which I'm lucky to have about 35 minute drive away on a good day.

I told myself I would try multiple schools before committing, but was so happy with my first choice that I never got around to it. Honestly, I find the time savings to be a huge bonus. I'm able to get lessons during the week without massively disrupting my works schedule, and having a cancelled flight due to weather is nowhere near as much of a pain than if I had a 3 hour roundtrip ride to the airfield!

Good luck on the second lesson, hope weather is on your side!
RobW liked this
By RobW
Thanks @jcal , I was just reading through your post! Yes, I think the simulator was really helpful, came in really useful in the pre-brief as I already knew all about the control surfaces (in theory) so I think that gave my instructor and wife a bit more confidence once we got up, like you, I mainly stick to GA and try to 'keep it real' luckily there has just been a warrior released from msfs and thats what I am learning in!

Living and working within 10 mins of Norwich is a huge advantage, I was already 90% set that Norwich would be my preference after the initial lesson, but the wasted trip to Old Buck confirmed everything, probably the only person to be happy about the marginal weather that morning!

Thanks for the encouragement, I look forward to seeing how you and the other students on here progress, I still have to pinch myself to believe that I am learning to be a pilot!
jcal liked this
By T6Harvard
jcal wrote:
RobW wrote:I still have to pinch myself to believe that I am learning to be a pilot!

I know right! I do the same every day..

Yep, me too.
Even on a bad day* when stuff just doesn't go as you intend it still beats any other hobby by a mile (a nautical mile :mrgreen: )
I mean, we're flying. FLYING!! Weeeeeeeh.

* or days
RobW liked this
By RobW
ha, well that would depend on how often the purser will allow me to book lessons and I dont even know that, though being invited to join us on the occasional lesson by my dashing young FI will surely work in my favour!
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
RobW wrote: ha, well that would depend on how often the purser will allow me to book lessons and I dont even know that, though being invited to join us on the occasional lesson by my dashing young FI will surely work in my favour!

Yes but choose lessons with backseater carefully - stall recovery seen from back there may not go well :pukel:

Funny you should mention a dashing young FI just as I was thinking of moving schools. Where.......