Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By eltonioni
I am SO hoping that not having any talent at all on a horse might somehow be transferred and split between parallel parking and short runways.
T6Harvard liked this
By RobW
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
So yesterday I hit a big milestone, I had an 8am lesson and the first thing I did was to check the weather, CAVOK with a 4 knot crosswind, The air was cool and still and once up in the circuits the landings all seemed to just fall into place. I noticed something strange going on about 3/4 of the way through when my instructor called for a landing and then proceeded to frantically start texting away, I had a feeling that something was going on but he didnt say much. As we pulled into the park he asked how I was doing for time. One of the other instructors turned up and asked me to take him around for a couple of extra circuits, thankfully the weather was still perfect and I pulled off 2 of my best landings to date. Once back at the park he asked if I was ready to go Solo and to my surprise I told him I was!

So off I went, just one circuit that went perfectly with another uncharacteristically smooth landing!

I have been asked several times If I was nervous, but I really wasnt, I felt confident in what I had to do and as you all know, there really isnt much time to think outside of the process of flying and landing.

I am fully appreciative that all this was in perfect conditions and I still have a long way to go, but it certainly felt like the 'end of the beginning'

Rob P, FlightDek, Cessna571 and 13 others liked this
By Rob P
Rob, that's fantastic!

Where is the obligatory picture of you standing by the aircraft grinning like an idiot? (Edit) It appeared as I was typing :lol:

Exercise 14, the only one you can't do twice. Well done. :thumleft:

Rob P
T6Harvard liked this
By RobW
Rob P wrote:Rob, that's fantastic!

Where is the obligatory picture of you standing by the aircraft grinning like an idiot? (Edit) It appeared as I was typing :lol:

Exercise 14, the only one you can't do twice. Well done. :thumleft:

Rob P

Added!

Cheers Rob!
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
That's brilliant, @RobW , well done!!

Given how much I was grinning just to have done a really good landing I imagine you are still smiling like a Cheshire cat :mrgreen:

[Get Morten to put it on the Class of 21 achievements thread]
RobW liked this
By Milty
Well done @RobW

Is the check flight with a second instructor something normal for your school or was there another reason?
RobW liked this
By Rob P
Harry.Brown wrote:The real judgement test is with a big car in a Burger King etc drive through. I have a set of alloys and I am not too interested in my standards of landing but I am very interested in not kerbing my alloys

Your judgement is patently flawed.

A drive-through Burger restaurant? Nobody can be that desperate to eat.

Meanwhile ... £240 later and sixteen years of kerbing has vanished.

Rob P
By RobW
Harry.Brown wrote:As a newly qualified instructor (FI(R)), you will start work under the direction of an experienced
Flight Instructor. As an FI(R)) you are not permitted to authorise student first solo flights, first solo
cross country or first solo at night. Once you have 100hrs instructional experience, including 25
solo authorisations your basic restriction can be lifted.

An instructor should not be texting downwind, he/ she should be engaged in the Lookout Work Cycle as part of L.A. I

Just to clarify, He started texting when we were back at the park with the aircraft shutdown and whilst making smalltalk, it was odd enough that I suspected what was going on. I guess that he didnt say exactly what was going on to avoid disappointment if it couldnt be arranged.
Rob P liked this
By MattL
Harry.Brown wrote:There is an instructor on the AOPA instructor seminars who recommends rounding out light aircraft at 50 feet, that’s 10 feet higher than Airbus reccomends for the largest Airbus!

Who is that and in what lecture then?

As the Head of Training for the AOPA seminars I have sat through every minute of every lecture for years and have never heard or delivered this.