Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Fellsteruk
Hey

Just curious if anyone has any advice, done all my training in the Cherokee 140, doing a checkout/difference training on a Warrior II next week which is new to the school.

It’s much younger so has toe brakes and trim is between seats rather that on roof, any advice or tips to help me adapt to the newer/different cherry?

Thanks
By Gas Guzzler
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You'll find everything pretty much the same, except landing. The tapered wing Warriors do tend to float more than the slab wing Cherokees. Otherwise you'll have no problems, enjoy!
By Rob P
Wot he says ^^^

You might find the ASI is in knots rather than mph.

Rob P
By TopCat
I flew a Cherokee a few times, decades ago, but never a tapered wing Warrior. Do the latter also float more, even if you religiously adhere to the book speeds? If so, do the Warriors require more runway than Cherokees?

I've always taken the view that if the aircraft floats, you're flying too fast, but I'm always open to education.
Paul_Sengupta, 2Donkeys liked this
By Fellsteruk
Thanks peeps...

I’m use to knots so that should be ok, the Cherokee I learnt in had an ASI which had knot on inside and mph on the outside was a right nightmare at the start I decided then to pick n stick with knots so I didn’t get confused.
By johnm
I learnt on Warriors and used to own an Archer 2, just nail the recommended speeds and it'll float gently to earth after you round out, close the throttle and ease back on the yoke :D .
2Donkeys and 1 others liked this
By Fellsteruk
Thanks again all for the advice had a nice flight today she looked so much bigger than the Cherokee, the handling was odd I thought the cherry was forgiving but the Warrior whilst heavy on the controls was nice and predictable.

Whilst faster everything was slower in that she slowed down slower and descending was slower that longer and taper on the wings makes all the difference to the lift profile.

Landing I did float a bit which I’ve put down to need to throttle back earlier, in the Cherokee it’s almost like she wants to drop but the Warrior has much more grace for want of a better word.

Also had a sweet Garmin stack twin G5 a GNS430 plus 2nd garmin radio and transponder the latter two I’m use to not so much the others was a little distracting but very nice.

Thanks again for advice.
Flyin'Dutch', johnm liked this
By johnm
The Warrior is very similar to the Archer but the extra 20 HP makes a HUGE difference. Archer will lift 4 big people, luggage and enough fuel for a decent trip. As @Charles Hunt rightly points out a Warrior won't.
By Charles Hunt
But beware of different sensitivities. Roy kindly let me take control of the Pup. I thought it needed a touch of downward trim, put in a suitable 'chunk' of Warrior trim and nearly put us in a Vne dive!
AndyR, tr7v8 and 1 others liked this
By Fellsteruk
Yeah defo different trimming down below so to speak lol but better than the cowboy dance on the Cherokee. The Warrior has an electronic trim, not played with it yet but that will be different again the trim wheel is much stiffer than the ceiling window winder :)
By TopCat
johnm wrote:I learnt on Warriors and used to own an Archer 2, just nail the recommended speeds and it'll float gently to earth after you round out, close the throttle and ease back on the yoke :D .

Would it not float even less if you close the throttle before rounding out?