Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Rob P
I'd assumed "close the throttle and ease back on the yoke" was a simultaneous action, rather than sequential. Not something you can convey with typing

Rob P
By Fellsteruk
I tried “ sequential” once in a Cherokee on an early circuit lesson, was like she turned into a stone, a very big stone :)

I don’t how saved it with an almost full back pressure was actually a smooth touchdown even if I did shiz myself :p
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Fellsteruk wrote:I tried “ sequential” once in a Cherokee on an early circuit lesson, was like she turned into a stone, a very big stone :)

But glide approaches aren't like that, presumably?
By TopCat
Fellsteruk wrote:Not now, back then maybe. In fairness if I recall the incident it was a series of mistakes on my part.

Yes... if you flare too high and/or too slow, power will often enable you to salvage the landing for a number of reasons:

• Better elevator authority (airflow from the prop over the tailplane)
  • Reduced stall speed (thrust vector pointing up offsetting part of the weight so less lift needed from the wings, and improved airflow over the wing roots).
  • Reduced rate of descent (thrust vector pointing up)
Do that without power and you get none of these benefits.

Not a reason for flaring too high and slow though :)

My instructor threatened to pull the mixture to lean on final unless I stopped using unnecessary power to mask bad technique. He never did, and I don't know if he would have, but it got me out of that particular bad habit quickly enough :)
Flyin'Dutch' and 1 others liked this
By TopCat
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:@TopCat I enjoy your good explanations of what happens in flight. YOu really should consider doing an FI/CRI course.

I appreciate this very much. Thank you.

It has crossed my mind a few times. I do love teaching, and not just flying. Other than the cost and time for the course(s), though, I'd be concerned that I'd have to teach in a very specific way. The very idea of an instructor's "patter" manual makes me shudder.

I'm possibly a bit more Maverick than Iceman, in reality (with apols to @Iceman). An instructor said to me once, "you obviously know what you're doing, but you're a bit freestyle".

I'm open to persuasion though. I do like the idea.
Iceman, Flyin'Dutch' liked this