Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By slyoldtel
Hi guys,

So I had my first flying lesson this week. The usual story: lifetime ambition, finally in a position to afford it etc. Thing is, I've been left a little bit underwhelmed by the experience.

I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy it, but I found it a lot more stressful than I had anticipated. I was quite nervous controlling the aircraft - which I expected - but I also found myself getting frustrated. If I'm honest I think a part of it was the instructor didn't make it abundantly clear when I was supposed to be in control of the aircraft. I guess this should have been obvious, but it put me on edge a bit!

In all honesty, I had expected to be completely blown away by the experience, whereas now I am wondering whether it's worth continuing :think:

Just wondering if anyone else took a while to get into it or was it a case of being bitten by the bug as soon as the wheels left the tarmac?
By AndyR
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I was almost put off flying by my first lesson. An overconfident instructor in a Cessna 150, with no real intention of doing anything but showing off his skills, so on and soon.
I left the airport feeling very despondent.

A couple of years later I was bought another trial lesson by a girlfriend and that went so much better.

Some 6500 hours of GA later :lol: 8)

Of course it may not be for you, but give it a chance or another go. You clearly feel passionately about it.
By VRB_20kt
Welcome to flying, but TBH that sounds pretty uninspiring. There should never be any doubt who is flying the aeroplane! He may say “follow me through” as he wants you to feel what he’s doing whilst he is in control. But other than that you should have been drilled in “You have control” and “I have control”.

Instructors should welcome discussion about a flight and if you’re unhappy or unsure then I would certainly recommend having a conversation.

Flying is such a privilege. Hopefully your next flight will light your fire.
tr7v8, T6Harvard, Crash one liked this
By T6Harvard
I am a low hours student of the mature variety. I absolutely loved my first lesson, mainly because I got to do lots more than I had expected. I am not a particularly confident person, certainly not a daring person but I was not nervous (a little concerned I may get motion sickness! But not nervous) at any time, but it is understandable when people are. Unless you were frightened and that feeling remained throughout the lesson.

My first lesson, the briefing made it perfectly clear that Instructor would use the phrase 'You have control' and I was to confirm that to ensure I heard and understood. And vice versa. It was also clear about following through at times, and when to completely remove hands and feet from vicinity of controls. It's absolutely standard procedure. I'd be very concerned if this was not the case in any flying scenario with dual controls.

Did you have a briefing before your flight, with your actual instructor or someone else? Did they tell you a bit about their flying credentials? Did they explain what the lesson would include?? Should have been basic effects of controls. A good explanation and a demonstration, then control handed to you so you could do an aileron turn, use rudder to yaw, etc etc.

Are you doing PPL or LAPL, or indeed something else?

What aircraft were you in?

Can you say what things were demonstrated and what you got to replicate?

Going back a bit.... how did you choose the school? Have you visited any others? I realise that there may be limited choice in some areas.

There may be options to change schools, or change instructors if you tell this one you were disappointed not to do more hands on and they don't give a satisfactory explanation. In reality, as well as teaching you to fly an Instructor is there to encourage you to keep with their school so they should be trying for a good 'customer experience'.
TopCat, Hazel C liked this
By johnm
Hmmm, I think you might need a better instructor, if poss start looking for another school, if we have an idea of your location we might be able to offer some recommendations.

You should have a clear brief about what will undertaken in the lesson and the protocol "I have control" "You have control" should be explained and followed religiously.
TopCat liked this
By TopCat
leiafee wrote:I wonder if you were mistaken for a joyride-disguised-as-trial-lesson customer rather than a intended new student.

If so, then it's absolutely inexcusable. There should have been a detailed briefing before the flight that established all the background, the expectations, and what was going to happen.

By the sound of it, some of my passengers get more hands on flying than the OP, and they sure as heck know when they're flying and when they're not.
johnm liked this
leiafee wrote:I wonder if you were mistaken for a joyride-disguised-as-trial-lesson customer rather than a intended new student.

I think I'm with Leia on this. The OP doesn't really give much detail (more please, if you want useful replies), but what there is reads like the person in the other seat was probably a club member giving an "introductory flight", rather than a lesson.
@slyoldtel what entry was made in your logbook after the lesson? And did the instructor talk things through with you afterwards ("the debrief") and show you what they had written on your student record (all schools have to keep proper notes and a record of student's progress)?
I never saw my student record and tbh, I never wanted to see it.

I wanted my instructor to be able to write whatever he liked on it without any worry.

I think he offered to show it to me once, with a “this isn’t secret btw, want to read it ?”, but I declined.
T6Harvard liked this
Thanks for the responses guys.

The issue with the instructor was only minor really, I just felt that I was getting a bit stressed and there was just too much uncertainty (overall) for me to just enjoy the experience.

I suppose I just expected to come away being completely in love with flying - I'd blocked out the evening to shop for aviators and planned to order the 1st Pooley's book. Instead, I found myself thinking about what else I could buy instead of sinking £12k odd into flying!

Anyway, I've booked another lesson. Different instructor so will be interesting to see how it goes. I've decided to have a month's worth of lessons (4) and see if I start to get into it when there isn't quite so much uncertainty!
Rob P, JAFO, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By TopCat
slyoldtel wrote:I've decided to have a month's worth of lessons (4) and see if I start to get into it when there isn't quite so much uncertainty!

Good plan.

It's not technically illegal to decide that flying isn't for you. Just a little odd ;)

Best of luck, keep us posted :thumright:
T6Harvard, johnm liked this
Good move. I hope it works for you.

Do be aware though that flying does almost always involve dealing with some form of pressure. If you feel this as stress then GA might not be for you.

Rob P
Hazel C liked this
By Morten
slyoldtel wrote: I've booked another lesson. Different instructor so will be interesting to see how it goes. I've decided to have a month's worth of lessons (4) and see if I start to get into it when there isn't quite so much uncertainty!

At the same place or with different outfits?
It is often said on here that you should try a couple of different places/instructors to find one that works best for you. At the end of the day, you may end up spending 40+ hours in a cramped, noisy, hot and uncomfortable place next to the same guy/gal an it should be someone you can stand the sight of...
Glad to hear you were not put off :thumleft:
By johnm
Flying is a procedural activity and the procedural approach is specifically aimed at reducing stress by making the whole thing fairly predictable, thus leaving some mental space to deal with anything unpredictable that might occur.

Unfortunately in the early days of VFR flying it is not by any means obvious that it's meant to be a procedural activity. :roll:

Your best strategy is to require a clear brief for every flight (it ought to be routinely delivered by your instructor) and to use any checklists available, if you start by following a systematic approach, you'll quickly conquer stress and have a more relaxed and enjoyable experience.