Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Watching war movies bears no relation to today’s reality. To those wartime pilots, landing was something that happened after you had finished trying to stay alive, their checklist prob amounted to which pub they were going to, and which girl they were going to take out.
Rob P, Hazel C liked this
By Rob P
Crash one wrote:... landing was something that happened after you had finished trying to stay alive ...

Trying to stay alive is the main aim of all my landings :shock:

Rob P
Crash one, flybymike, JAFO and 2 others liked this
Rob P wrote:
Crash one wrote:... landing was something that happened after you had finished trying to stay alive ...

Trying to stay alive is the main aim of all my landings :shock:

Rob P

Mine too :D
Rob P liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
OK you asked for it......... :twisted:

A good landing is one you walk away from

A great landing is when you get to use the 'plane again

:D
flybymike wrote:
their checklist prob amounted to which pub they were going to, and which girl they were going to take out.

I doubt if the check list stopped at simply taking her out.

I was being diplomatic :D
It is said that a landing in a tailwheel aircraft is not over until the the aircraft is tied down and the pilot is in bed with someone.
flybymike liked this
By Hazel C
That said, flying can be a frustrating activity - I suspect many here have had moments during their training where they start to query if it's the right thing. I would argue part of being a good pilot is recognising our own psychology and working to move forward.

Seconded! I certainly had many moments during my training when I wondered what the hell I was doing....but got through it as I recognised my psychology and now I love it!

Its a whole new experience and therefore likely to feel strange at first. I hope that a few hours in you are loving it and have the addiction like us on here. Ive now been qualified for 5 1/2 years, and SO glad I didnt give up! So fingers crossed that the change of instructor works for you.

As to watching war films...... "...all I got was a belly full of English Channel" :lol:
lobstaboy wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:Excellent! We have another person addicted to aviating.

Hmmm. I'm not convinced.

To be honest, neither am I...

So I have now had three lessons with three different instructors. One of them was really good and the lesson was what I expected - i.e enjoyable. The other two I wasn't really happy with.

I am thinking maybe I should try a different school. The only problem is that it's a bit further away and with my budget, it would mean I could only do 3, maybe 4 lessons a month as opposed to 4/5 at the more local airfield.

At this stage, I feel I really want to continue flying, I'm just not 100% happy with the lessons I've had. Not sure what to do now!
T6Harvard liked this
By TopCat
slyoldtel wrote:So I have now had three lessons with three different instructors. One of them was really good and the lesson was what I expected - i.e enjoyable. The other two I wasn't really happy with.

I am thinking maybe I should try a different school. The only problem is that it's a bit further away and with my budget, it would mean I could only do 3, maybe 4 lessons a month as opposed to 4/5 at the more local airfield.

At this stage, I feel I really want to continue flying, I'm just not 100% happy with the lessons I've had. Not sure what to do now!

Well, certainly trying the other school would be worth it, if only to give you more information. You might decide to try and stick with the instructor you liked.

But after three lessons, only one of which you liked, can you articulate the fundamental differences? Certainly in the first one, not being completely clear when you're flying and when not is a deal breaker. And mediocre briefings and debriefings likewise.

But if you're going to try another school, it would be good to be as clear as possible on what it is you're looking for.

I clicked with my very first instructor, where I had my first 5 hours. One of these was at a different school, and I didn't click so much with the instructor there, but it wouldn't have put me off wanting to learn to fly.

Then when I started again with the excellent instructor and now decades-long good friend that took me to PPL and IMC, I clicked with him too, although some aspects of his style were pretty hard to deal with at times. I can imagine some people absolutely hating it and being completely unable to work with it, and indeed one of his students was in tears on more than one occasion.

I also had two brilliant instructors (one for aeros, one for instrument training) when I lived in the USA for a while.

So I've been very lucky. I do sometimes wonder, though, if to some extent we make our own luck. I'm not sure quite what I mean by that, so there's no point asking!
By T6Harvard
Hmmmm.
Well you really enjoyed one lesson, so perhaps see if you can stick with that Instructor? I guess if they are popular that may be tricky...until one of the students passes and a slot comes available :D

The alternative 3 lessons a month is good so don't dismiss that as an option (lots of advice about booking more because you'll lose some to weather/availability of aircraft etc*).

*I took this advice, booked 2 per week and have only lost 2 or 3 out of 20 since last Sept (Covid aside)!

FWIW, I'd say have a couple more lessons to scratch the itch. If you are not overwhelmingly in love with learning to fly after that then, despite what others may say, you're still a normal human being :lol:

Spend your money on something you DO love doing!!
Morten, JAFO liked this
By Morten
There's probably someone who would be happy to take you up for a flight to show you 'the final product' so to speak and give you a feeling for what you can do once you have your licence - to either rekindle your fascination... or not. Whereabouts are you?
TopCat, JAFO liked this
By JAFO
I ended up having lots of instructors at several schools over a number of years before I actually got my licence.

I enjoyed almost all of them. If, at any point, I'd actively disliked 2/3 of my lessons, I'd have taken up golf instead.

That said, I can think of 2 lessons with 2 different instructors which I did not enjoy. Perhaps you were just unlucky. I'd try once more with the instructor you liked and, if not, then maybe it's not for you.
MachFlyer, T6Harvard liked this
slyoldtel wrote:I am thinking maybe I should try a different school. The only problem is that it's a bit further away and with my budget, it would mean I could only do 3, maybe 4 lessons a month as opposed to 4/5 at the more local airfield.

At this stage, I feel I really want to continue flying,..

Slightly fewer lessons per month don't necessarily equate to slower learning.

I would suggest that 3-4 lessons which you enjoy (most of) are of far more value to your learning than 4-5 you don't enjoy.
T6Harvard, Rob P, Crash one liked this