Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Fellsteruk
Hey @Matt1976 Dont be put off by your height weight, I was in a similar situation TBF I ain’t lost any weight since starting my PPL in fact with covid I’m a little heavier

I’m 6,4 and around 20st, I did my training in a PA28-140 has a max weight of about 2150, with an average build instructor you can get about 4hour endurance so more than enough to train and I think the 172 is similar but I think it has a slightly better payload.

I’m looking forward to now hiring a higher powered PA28 so I can get me and two friends for a trip.

One note on the medical point of view I just managed to miss having to do a “medical flight test” I could have got the name wrong basically there is a point where if your BMI is over X you have to get an extra certificate to prove you can get in and out the plane and perform all the tasks of Pilot in command without any issues it’s pretty simple but I think it adds another £150 to the cost of the medical.

Hopefully you won’t need it but thought I’d mention it.

Good luck with the flying :)
By Matt1976
Thankyou very much for your supportive and encouraging words everyone. I have spoken to a flying school near me and will be doing a trial lesson soon (ish) and will take it from there.

Long term, it is unlikely that I will be able to afford to buy outright, so syndicate or hire seems likely.

I have a bit of a daydream of taking the family on a sightseeing trip down to Felixstowe then turn round and fly up the coast to Skegness Airfield, drop in for lunch then back home.

Bit of a simple and silly daydream maybe. I'd need a Cherokee 6 or similar for all 5 of us though!

Thankyou for helping keep the dream alive!
Morten liked this
By Rob P
Matt1976 wrote:
Long term, it is unlikely that I will be able to afford to buy outright, so syndicate or hire seems likely.

Everyone's flying story is different, but what is usually thought the best plan is to hire post-ppl, maybe trying out long distance tourers, strip machines, aeros etc etc until you know in your own mind the type of flying that suits you best, then seek out or build a group on a suitable aircraft.

Plan B involves winning the national lottery.

Welcome. :D

Rob P
By tcc1000
Microlights are cheaper to buy (mostly - it depends on what you want), but hiring one is rare - I think there is a licensing / insurance reason for this. The current weight limit is also an issue if you plan to travel 2-up (particularly if you are not both relatively light) or with any baggage - usually you need to forego fuel to get under the limit. The sub-600kg class aircraft will improve this situation.

Standard SEP (Certificate of Airworthiness / Part 21) aircraft are easier to hire, but are generally older and less fuel efficient. Shares in say a PA28 come up quite often relatively cheaply (~ £2000-£4000) in bigger groups
of ~12 people.

LAA (Permit to Fly) aircraft (also need a PPL(A)) can be newer and/or more fuel efficient, but must be 51% home-built, so you need to find or build one.

I went for the full PPL(A) to give me options, but currently more tempted by the microlight route.

Finding something you like that is available and local limits your choice, without winning the lottery and buying something new.
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Matt1976 wrote:I have a bit of a daydream of taking the family on a sightseeing trip down to Felixstowe then turn round and fly up the coast to Skegness Airfield, drop in for lunch then back home.

As dreams go, that one seems entirely feasible and although as you point out, seats could be an issue, dare I say it, even underambitious :thumleft:
Careful about telling your FI or examiner though - Felixstowe and Skegness as destinations may make them question your judgement ;)
Last edited by Morten on Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Matt1976
Plan B seems ideal!

In terms of what I would like to fly, previously I have enjoyed some aerobatics and probably 'sight seeing' and low altitude pottering more than protracted cross country but that may have changed, we'll see!

Yes, Felixstowe and Skeggy are hardly St Moritz and Monte Carlo, but there's a certain appeal to pottering about seeing one's local area from a different perspective. Plus, any further and one of the sprogs will need a wee, get bored, want a drink, or want to have a go.

In terms of the lottery win, I don't really want anything hugely fancy, so perhaps a C310R for taking the family out, a Currie Wot to emulate dear old Harald, a Chipmunk for the memories and an Su31 for those hooligan tendancies.

Ok, ok, I would have to have a warbird or two as well. Probably a Spitfire V and a Gnat.
Morten, Rob P liked this
By F70100
Matt1976 wrote:Yes, Felixstowe and Skeggy are hardly St Moritz and Monte Carlo...

Chapelle St Leonarde and Frintone sur la Mer would give them a run for their money!
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
On that note.... Monaco means something along the lines of 'a dwelling' and St. Moritz patronises a.o. the weavers.
So Felixstowe being 'Cat's House' and Skegness being 'bearded headland' actually compares quite favourably, I think.

Skegness in particular or anything with Norse origin will always win over those Southerners. :thumright: :twisted: 8)
By lobstaboy
I like Felixstowe.
From the air there's lots of interesting stuff to look at.
On the ground the old-ish bit of the town is fun in a 1960's seaside way and there's a pleasant walk north to the foot ferry across the River Deben (where you'll find Bawdsey Manor, the home of radar). There's a Martello tower and a fresh fish stall.
Felixstowe's other claim to fame is that it was on the beach there that my father proposed to my mother...
JAFO liked this
By Matt1976
I'm really looking forward to flying over the North Norfolk coast, especially the Mundesley to Hunstanton stretch.

Not sure if flying around the wash is possible, are the MOD ranges still active?
By Rob P
There's a small, cheese-shaped danger area, D207, Holbeach Range. Active weekdays only and with a frequency via which you can negotiate a crossing if required. Most of the rest of The Wash is Class G, but annotated as an AIAA, under the watchful eye of Marham

A long winded way of saying that The Wash is far from closed to GA, particularly at the weekends.

Mundesley to Sunny Hunny should be no issue, ever. Just stick on the Norwich listening squawk and tune in to Norwich Approach.

Rob P
By Matt1976
Thanks Rob,

Quick aside really, I often see GA aircraft over the coast or just offshore at about 100ft or even less.
I always thought there was a 500ft minimum altitude? But perhaps that doesn't apply over open water?

Air navigation rules are a bit vague in my mind at the moment!
By JAFO
@Matt1976 - all will become clear during training but, essentially, in the UK, you must stay 500ft from any person, vehicle, vessel or structure. So, you can be 6 inches off the deck and still be legal (though not, necessarily, very bright).

There are some other restrictions for built-up/crowded places.