Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Matt1976
Hello everyone, I suppose I should introduce myself. My name is Matt, I live in North Norfolk and I am interested in learning to fly.
I did a reasonable amount of flying when I was in the ATC, mainly in Chipmunks, Bulldogs and a variety of sailplanes. I had around 75 hours or so in my log book but I don't think that has any relevance!
Now, I am thinking about learning to fly properly, but I am in two minds about the direction to choose as the licencing situation seems to have moved on somewhat!
In terms of cost, a full PPL is the most expensive, but is that worth it for the greater range of aircraft types available, especially if I want to get into Aerobatics (recreational not competitive)
A microlight licence (3-Axis) is another option, but the scope of types becomes more limited, say if I wanted to hire a 4 seater and take the family for a trip.
Gliding is very appealing from the perspective of cost but I suspect that it may become limiting in terms of flexibility.
Another issue is that I am reasonably tall (6ft 1) and have a long body and broad shoulders, so I have found sailplanes typically designed for a long leg/short body.
I am also pretty hefty, so until I lose weight, pretty much all flying is out, but my target weight would probably be somewhere around 17 Stone (currently at around 20 :cry: )
My apologies for the lengthy post. I am just starting to think about this, so please excuse my ignorance.

Many thanks

Matt
By lobstaboy
Hello Matt, Welcome
I'm in North Norfolk (and there are various other regulars on here). If you PM me your contact details I'll give you a call and we can have a chat about what's available locally.
Matt1976 liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If you can afford it go for the PPL with a class 2 medical, that's the best way to keep all options on the table once you pass a skills test.
Iceman, Matt1976, ArthurG liked this
By Dave W
@Matt1976, not stupid at all - it isn't immediately obvious, and new posters such as yourself don't get the facility anyway until you've made a few posts.

Take a look at the FAQ here, and that'll explain.
By Paul_Sengupta
Matt1976 wrote:I am also pretty hefty, so until I lose weight, pretty much all flying is out, but my target weight would probably be somewhere around 17 Stone (currently at around 20 :cry: )

Don't put it off. Find somewhere you can learn in a PA28 or a Cessna 172, both four seaters. You should be fine. You might need a report for your medical that you can reach and waggle all the controls ok, but that should be it.
T6Harvard liked this
By Matt1976
Thankyou, I think that the full PPL would ultimately be the way to go, even if it is a bit more of an expense.

I found a couple of places, the nearest being Premier Flight Training at Norwich Airport using a Piper Archer or a Warrior

Also a place at Old Buckenham which uses a Pa28 and a 172 so that should be fine.

No idea when I'll be in a position to do it, but fingers crossed for a lottery win.
By Matt1976
As an aside and please excuse my ignorance, but how do type ratings work, if that is the right expression.

Assuming that I learned to fly in a PA28 for example, but I ultimately wanted to fly a DH Chipmunk, a CAP 232 or a Currie Wot, would I need a specific certificate on my licence or just a taildragger conversion?

Obviously I guess some form of familiarisation training is required when contemplating flying a new type, especially if that type is 'particular' such as vintage aircraft, but is that a regulatory requirement?

Just out of interest :)

Many thanks
By Cessna571
Costs.

Remember that you don’t pay it all up front, you pay as you go.

If it would take you 2 years to save £10k, then simply use it to fly over the 2 years rather than save it.

It took me 18 months to get my license, I had a little bit of savings and some disposable income to spend each month.

What you don’t have to do is save up £9k before you start.

In fact, lots of people just start, and then fly as they save up for each lesson.
Though 1 lesson a month is probably the absolute minimum.

All flying though isn’t it!
JAFO, leiafee liked this
By Cessna571
Matt1976 wrote:As an aside and please excuse my ignorance, but how do type ratings work, if that is the right expression.

Assuming that I learned to fly in a PA28 for example, but I ultimately wanted to fly a DH Chipmunk, a CAP 232 or a Currie Wot, would I need a specific certificate on my licence or just a taildragger conversion?

Obviously I guess some form of familiarisation training is required when contemplating flying a new type, especially if that type is 'particular' such as vintage aircraft, but is that a regulatory requirement?

Just out of interest :)

Many thanks

You’d train on something with a nose wheel (probably / usually) and your license would be for a Single Engine Piston.

However, some types of SEP (tail dragger, complex) require you to then have a rating added to your license for that type.

“taildragger” for instance takes 5 - 10 hours training.

In theory you can then fly any taildragger.

In practise you then “convert” between aircraft, but this is informal.

You’d convert between a PA28 and a C152 for instance, if you’d not flown a C152 before, though legally you could fly either.

Remember you are in the cockpit, there are no lay-bys in the sky, so self preservation kicks in with how serious people take conversion.

About 3 hours C152 > PA28 for me after I passed.

Covid interrupted my tail dragging and I’m still looking for a share in a taildragger anyway.
By Miscellaneous
Cessna571 wrote:However, some types of SEP (tail dragger, complex) require you to then have a rating added to your license for that type.

“taildragger” for instance takes 5 - 10 hours training.

In theory you can then fly any taildragger.

Not meaning to be a pedant C571, however in the context of the question I think it’s’ probably wise to point out that the above named are not in fact ratings, but differences and as such require differences training. :D
Cessna571, AndyR liked this
By Matt1976
Thankyou everyone. It's a long term project really and depends on finances etc, but it is really interesting to chat to you all about it all. Thankyou.

I want to stay realistic so I am trying not to daydream too much! (That said, I still have a wish list!)
By Paul_Sengupta
There are three things involved in this discussion, ratings, differences training, and familiarisation.

If you do a full PPL, you'll get a Single Engine Piston rating. This will allow you to fly all single engined piston aeroplanes under 5700kg which don't require a type rating. A type rating is required for larger or particularly complex aeroplanes.

For tailwheel, that's one of the "differences" you need differences training for. This needs to be signed off in your logbook. Other differences are variable pitch propeller, retractable undercarriage and "glass" (electronic) cockpit panels.

Between different aircraft or types of aircraft you want to fly, you need to have familiarisation training. This could be as simple as reading the handbook, but you need to familiarise yourself with the new type or subtype. This isn't signed off anywhere, you are just expected to do it.
Cessna571 liked this
By Rob P
Paul_Sengupta wrote: Other differences are variable pitch propeller, retractable undercarriage and "glass" (electronic) cockpit panels.

Turbocharging and pressurisation?

Rob P