Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Rob P
In simple terms the rule is that you must not fly within 500' of any person, vehicle, vessel or structure.

So with the exception of boats and swimmers and, in the case of the Wash the target structures, you can fly as low as you wish

Rob P

@JAFO types faster than me :(
JAFO liked this
By Matt1976
I'd try to steer clear of my ornithological friends. In the little experience I have, flying too low ends up being a bit pointless as there's not much to see. I remember the first time I flew over my house and getting all jittery at how steep I needed to bank in order to see it.

I guess that's one advantage of a high wing aircraft.
By Rob P
Matt1976 wrote:I guess that's only advantage of a high wing aircraft.

There. I fixed the sentence for you.

Rob P
JAFO liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:
Matt1976 wrote:I guess that's only advantage of a high wing aircraft.

There. I fixed the sentence for you.

Not so though, there's also the advantage of being able to land down a narrow strip with crops or lions or something down each side.

I've been worried on a couple of occasions about getting grains of corn stuck up my pitot as I drag the wing across the crop. If there were any lions they must have been lying down.
By Rob P
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I've been worried on a couple of occasions about getting grains of corn stuck up my pitot ...

Is that a euphemism? :oops:

Rob P