Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By kk355
Yet to start learning to fly but in the late stages of deciding a school.

I have a few questions I have around the new format for PPL exams which I'm hoping you could help me on:

• Are the online exams managed through the CAA Portal?
  • Do I need to sit these at an airfield or can I sit the exam from the comfort of my home?
  • If I can sit the exam myself, how do I pay for it? A school is offering a package where the exam is paid for as part of the package, how does that work?
  • Would you advise having the majority of the exams completed before I start flying? Learning all the theory myself that is and no ground school classes.
  • As far as I understand, there is no set window of X number of exams in an exam sitting, is that correct?
  • How many times can you retake an exam?
  • Does the test give you a breakdown on areas to focus should I not pass it?

Thank you in advance!
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member

Each exam has to be obtained by the school prior to you sitting it. This can be done on-line at short notice.

• Do I need to sit these at an airfield or can I sit the exam from the comfort of my home?

Yes, at a training organisation.

• If I can sit the exam myself, how do I pay for it? A school is offering a package where the exam is paid for as part of the package, how does that work?

Done at a school so N/A. They will pay and you will reimburse them.

• Would you advise having the majority of the exams completed before I start flying? Learning all the theory myself that is and no ground school classes.

Not necessarily as you have 18 months to complete your PPL from your first sitting. Schools often require Air Law, Operations and HPL prior to first solo.

• As far as I understand, there is no set window of X number of exams in an exam sitting, is that correct?

Yes.

Four attempts at a subject I seem to recall after which you start again with all exams.

Yes, if you pass. Possibly not if you fail, as that’s normally indicative of the fact that you need to brush up on the whole subject more thoroughly.

Iceman 8)
By tr7v8
Are the online exams managed through the CAA Portal?
You need a CAA login but your flying school books the exam. You then have 3 months in which to take it
Do I need to sit these at an airfield or can I sit the exam from the comfort of my home?
Will be at your flying school, they act as an invigilator
If I can sit the exam myself, how do I pay for it? A school is offering a package where the exam is paid for as part of the package, how does that work?
Your school books the exam, you pay for it then, with my school I pay them, they pay the CAA.
Would you advise having the majority of the exams completed before I start flying? Learning all the theory myself that is and no ground school classes.
No, from first exam to the last you have 18 months to do them all. Then after the last exam pass you have 2 years to get your PPL. I have lost 8 months due to covid, weather etc.
As far as I understand, there is no set window of X number of exams in an exam sitting, is that correct?
There used to be but they binned that rule when it went online. So no.
How many times can you retake an exam?
3 with the school & then another with the CAA at their office
Does the test give you a breakdown on areas to focus should I not pass it?
Yes but very poorly. It will say which questions you failed but not to any detail.

PS. Use EasyPPLground school as a revision medium, it is by far the most accurate.
By kk355
Iceman wrote:

Each exam has to be obtained by the school prior to you sitting it. This can be done on-line at short notice.

Yes, at a training organisation.

Done at a school so N/A. They will pay and you will reimburse them.

Not necessarily as you have 18 months to complete your PPL from your first sitting. Schools often require Air Law, Operations and HPL prior to first solo.

Yes.

Four attempts at a subject I seem to recall after which you start again with all exams.

Yes, if you pass. Possibly not if you fail, as that’s normally indicative of the fact that you need to brush up on the whole subject more thoroughly.

Iceman 8)

Thanks for the detailed breakdown!
By kk355
tr7v8 wrote:Are the online exams managed through the CAA Portal?
You need a CAA login but your flying school books the exam. You then have 3 months in which to take it
Do I need to sit these at an airfield or can I sit the exam from the comfort of my home?
Will be at your flying school, they act as an invigilator
If I can sit the exam myself, how do I pay for it? A school is offering a package where the exam is paid for as part of the package, how does that work?
Your school books the exam, you pay for it then, with my school I pay them, they pay the CAA.
Would you advise having the majority of the exams completed before I start flying? Learning all the theory myself that is and no ground school classes.
No, from first exam to the last you have 18 months to do them all. Then after the last exam pass you have 2 years to get your PPL. I have lost 8 months due to covid, weather etc.
As far as I understand, there is no set window of X number of exams in an exam sitting, is that correct?
There used to be but they binned that rule when it went online. So no.
How many times can you retake an exam?
3 with the school & then another with the CAA at their office
Does the test give you a breakdown on areas to focus should I not pass it?
Yes but very poorly. It will say which questions you failed but not to any detail.

PS. Use EasyPPLground school as a revision medium, it is by far the most accurate.

Thanks for the breakdown!

How have you found EasyPPL Ground School overall?
By Rob P
@kk355

If you don't stop quoting every answer in its entirety Aerbabe will arrive and bite your leg. You have been warned. :shock:

Rob P :D
kk355, Iceman, JAFO liked this
By tr7v8
kk355 wrote:
tr7v8 wrote:.

Thanks for the breakdown!

How have you found EasyPPL Ground School overall?

I have used that and a couple of others & EasyPPL is the most like the CAA one in my experience.
kk355 liked this
By T6Harvard
I've just been doing some revision using PPLTutor, VERY basic but useful for reminders of salient points.
Agree with @tr7v8 , EasyPPL is much more comprehensive, and the explanations are very good.
By WelshRichy
Iceman wrote:Not necessarily as you have 18 months to complete your PPL from your first sitting. Schools often require Air Law, Operations and HPL prior to first solo.

You have 18 months to pass all 9 theory exams from the date of your first pass.

Once you have passed all 9 exams you then have a further 24 months to pass and apply for your PPL, so from your first exam pass you could, in theory, have over three years before you seriously need to knuckle down and finish the PPL. If they expire you simply re-sit them all and the counters start again.

Sittings for PPL exams were abolished by an EASA amendment in November 2019 (forgot the exact amendment number though) so all you need to worry about is the 18/24 time limits as above. Sittings have been retained for professional exams (CPL/IR/ATPL).

No need to sit them in any particular order but schools generally require your Air Law to be passed prior to your first solo. It isn't a legal requirement but a school requirement which is probably in their ATO/DTO manual and/or requirement by their insurers.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy learning to fly, the past time is absolutely fabulous and very addictive. :D
T6Harvard liked this