Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Those are the very reasons why the call is made, to advise what the unseen aircraft is doing.
What you do with the information is your choice.

From my experience after I called “speed controlled, taxiing” another aircraft started his backtrack towards me, passing left to left as we met with a wave. It has never been a problem.

What “speed controlled” means is, “ I have landed and slowed to taxi speed and able to manoeuvre as required”.
The only reason to call backtracking would be if I landed very long beyond the hill, in which case the other aircraft would not enter or take off, on an apparently empty runway from his point of view!

Paragraph one is the key along with knowledge of the airfield layout! :D
UncleT wrote:That's in line with what my instructor has me doing at an A/G airfield: call "G-xx lining up runway NN ready for departure" then, when lined up and all set, off we go, with no further "Taking off", "Departing" or "Rolling" call. I have heard other pilots at the field use the latter.

It’s good to use “Departing” when you start rolling, as you get into the habit and then you use the proper wording at a controlled airfield.

I learned at an AG where one instructor insisted on “Departing” and the other used all manner of words, different every time, gleefully insisting “This is AG, it doesn’t matter”.

Why get into bad habits, if you just do it properly always, you never have to think.

The words “take off” should only EVER be used when giving / receiving a clearance to.

There’s a fatal accident involving those words and some confusion.

(Is “rolling” an Americanism I wonder? I was hearing a lot of “G-PP downwind 24, full stop” when training and started using it, till I was told in no uncertain terms I should be saying “to land”, haven’t heard “full stop” for years now)
UncleT liked this
Cessna571 wrote:It’s good to use “Departing” when you start rolling, as you get into the habit and then you use the proper wording at a controlled airfield.

The proper words, used just before you push the throttle forward, are "Taking Off [callsign]"

The word "Departing" does not exist in a CAP413 call from the aircraft other than in one instance shown below (plus a couple of references to other departing traffic)

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cessna571, TopCat and 1 others liked this
Rob P wrote:
Cessna571 wrote:It’s good to use “Departing” when you start rolling, as you get into the habit and then you use the proper wording at a controlled airfield.

The proper words, used just before you push the throttle forward, are "Taking Off [callsign]"

Rob P

I’ve got to go and look that up now!

I genuinely think that “take off” should only be used in the clearance…

(off to check)

Every day is a school day etc
Last edited by Cessna571 on Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
[mention]Fellsteruk [/mention] Adding my belated congratulations. I’ve been lapse on reading the forum and staying in touch with you lovely people later.

You’ve spurred me on to complete mine !! Amazing to read you’re journey beginning to end. Although it’s just starting really.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
T6Harvard and 1 others liked this
Wicksay wrote:Amazing to read you’re journey beginning to end.

You might remember the TV mini-series - The Worst Place to be a Pilot about commercial pilots in Indonesia?

Matt, one of the pilots featured and now a contributor to FLYER, started his journey here some seventeen years ago.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6523&p=85667#p85667

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Cessna571 wrote:Oh WOW!

Thanks @Rob P

So, what was drummed into me, in no uncertain terms, is WRONG.

CAP 413, Chapter 4, Page 41.

“Taking off”

The moral of this story is that when some nice instructor condenses CAP 413 for their students, it might be wrong.

Perhaps a word in said instructor's shell-like might be in order to prevent further dissemination of dangerous cr ap if the above is true.

Always remembering, of course, the topical and now popular buzz-phrase inspired by Royalty :

'Recollections may vary'

Peter
Fellsteruk wrote:I hear “copy” all the time “copy traffic…” I started using it myself then realized it wasn’t correct phraseology.

It’s easy to get into bad habits and then these bad habit passed on to students :)

Apparently dates back to Morse code days.

How does it date back to the days of morse?
By Fellsteruk
JAFO wrote:
Fellsteruk wrote:I hear “copy” all the time “copy traffic…” I started using it myself then realized it wasn’t correct phraseology.

It’s easy to get into bad habits and then these bad habit passed on to students :)

Apparently dates back to Morse code days.

How does it date back to the days of morse?

Was just what I read on the internet so it must be true :shock:

“Copy has its origins in Morse Code communications. Morse Code operators would listen to transmissions and write down each letter or number immediately, a technique called “copying.” Once voice communications became possible, 'copy' was used to confirm whether a transmission was received.“
JAFO liked this
By Fellsteruk
JAFO wrote:
Crash one wrote:A reminder from Perth radio as they are getting confusing RT at times.

https://scottishaeroclub.us17.list-mana ... 5525ee1897

So, the people who recommend non-standard phraseology recommend standard phraseology?

Yeah I didn’t think “turning final” existed

“Turning Final” is at the end of the downwind leg and not used except at the start of a PFL .

Easily confused with final especially if turning gets clipped. Also any PFL I’ve done I’ve been asked to report commencing PFL which is the call I’ve made at the end of downwind not final that would come later when I actually am “final to land 04 GXX” however I think standard phraseology is just final isn’t it, another bad habit I have?