Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Fellsteruk
Well, neither of my plans held up with the weather so I decided to take a look around the welsh coast down to llandudno and back, was very smooth and the place looked amazing.

First flight post skills test and it was just what I needed feel much better now!

https://ibb.co/3YL19mc
https://ibb.co/84m9X9L
https://ibb.co/F8tsLz8
https://ibb.co/NTYPhYn
https://ibb.co/WxRHQgs
T6Harvard, TopCat, Charles Hunt and 3 others liked this
By Fellsteruk
WGN wrote:I passed my skills test on the 2nd too but I'm still waiting for the licence application to get through the CAA. Have you had yours back yet?

You touched a nerve…..

So long story short they first approved it, then rejected it asking for my log book or certified copy. Then claimed they didn’t get it, found it told me another 10 days, I called after 10days still not issued…

Anyway, I called them today and they said it’s with FedEx and a couple hours ago I got a text from FedEx saying they have a package from the CAA to be delivered tomorrow.

Fingers crossed it comes and correct, will be a month since applying.

If you ain’t heard anything call them they are super nice, not so helpful in speeding thing up but nice and helpful I have to say that.
By Fellsteruk
editmonkey wrote:Lovely photos! Hope the licence gets there tomorrow and massive congrats again :D

Thanks sis my first landaway at the weekend since passing went to caernarfon, was exciting and a little scary going to a brand new place on my own but I got there and back :)

I did make a mistake though I asked caernarfon radio for runway Info and taxi instructions when leaving then realized I wasn’t gonna get the latter a bit scary knowing you gotta make a decision, have it easy with full atc :)
Ha, I can only imagine - I get freaked out taking off for a solo circuit! :lol: Bet it was a load of fun though.

Know what you mean - we've only got ground radio at our strip and it can be a little disconcerting, especially when no-one's manning it. I'd just finished my pre-take off checks the other day and there was an incoming plane announced himself on final - fine - I watched him in. Then he announced backtracking on the grass runway parallel to mine... I made my radio call to line up - then silence.

I had this ten-seconds-long doubt about whether I was allowed to go or not. Think I made a superfluous radio call along the lines of G-XX taking off on 01, just to be doubly sure, and no-one objected so off I went.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
editmonkey wrote:I made my radio call to line up - then silence.

I had this ten-seconds-long doubt about whether I was allowed to go or not. Think I made a superfluous radio call along the lines of G-XX taking off on 01, just to be doubly sure, and no-one objected so off I went.

I don't think that's superfluous, I think that's what you're supposed to do.
editmonkey, davenuk, Cessna571 and 1 others liked this
By Fellsteruk
When I was caernarfon last week I only made one call after being at the hold and that was that I was taking off as I intended to take straight off and not lineup and then wait. I guess lining up and then taking off is the same as taking off but lining up implies your still on runway “waiting”

I had a look in the pooley,s RT book and they have a similar example on page 138 if anyone interested class E, Cumbernauld Radio.

Whilst it doesn’t mention line up the two main calls are
1. Taxiing
2. Taking off and intended route “taking off depart to the north”

Just adding for food for thought.
T6Harvard liked this
By TopCat
Crash one wrote:We are advised to call on landing, “ G xx speed controlled, taxiing/back tracking xx” for the benefit of aircraft waiting to backtrack the long runway. Perth.

Calling 'backtracking' is fine - it's just announcing your intentions as at any uncontrolled field.

What's the value of announcing that your speed is controlled? That goes without saying, surely?

I don't need you to tell me you're in control of your aircraft - I'll make my own mind up :wink:
There is a bit of a hill on 21/03 making it impossible to see the other end of the runway.
So, just in case the landed aircraft is doing a faff with throttle, flaps, carb heat etc before a long winded “go” . Or has landed normally but can’t be seen. The “speed controlled” bit is purely advice that I’m not careering up the runway trying to keep it straight while you are taxiing towards me unseen.
By TopCat
Crash one wrote:The “speed controlled” bit is purely advice that I’m not careering up the runway trying to keep it straight while you are taxiing towards me unseen.

Yes, but I'm not going to rely on such a call. For all I know, your feet have slipped off the brakes and your sleeve has now caught on the throttle.

"Runway vacated" is more or less the only call I'll rely on, and then only reluctantly, if I can't see that the way ahead is clear.

If you call "backtracking", I'm not going to taxy on to the runway, let alone take off, whether I can see you or not.