Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By JPSmith2476
I am looking to get up to speed (on the ground) with Garmin GPS's primarily 530 and 650, does anyone know of an intensive ground school (couple of days max) that can be attended.

I don't really want to waste money doing it in the aeroplane, but am open to a couple of days on the ground. I am based in the Midlands, but don't mind travelling.

Thanks

Jim
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Arwyn Jones of Camflight may well be the man for you. In addition to being a BA Captain, an FAA instructor and CAA Flight Examiner, a CAA Staff Examiner and and IRE, he teaches ground school on Garmin and other equipment. You can reach him on arwyn (at) camflight.com and he's Cambridgeshire based.
By 2Donkeys
Andrew Sinclair wrote:I have the Garmin 430/530, 430W/530W, 650/750 and Perspective + trainers set up and offer this type of training via Zoom calls, screen sharing which eliminates the travel aspect.

PM me if interested.

@Andrew Sinclair is also a very nice chap @JPSmith2476. I would recommend.
Andrew Sinclair liked this
Flyingfemme wrote:Garmin used to have simulators you could download to your PC and play with. Worth a google?

I've tried downloading the Garmin simulator, but Windows 10 doesn't work with it, my other computer is a Mac - so the other option is find someone.

Thanks for the help though.
By GrahamB
ISTR that there are two Garmin Trainers, the older one for the non-W models only, and one that includes the W models.

You need to make sure you’ve downloaded the latter, which certainly runs on W10.