Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My brother has sorted through the parental loft today and found my Grandad's flight navigation computer.

It is one of these, Navigational computer Mk III D

https://collection.maas.museum/object/372522

Grandad flew PPL from mid '30s to late 50's and also flew for Vickers Armstrong during WWII. He was an engineer making engines for Wellingtons but he also did ferry flights from Cranage to Broughton (Harwarden), and possibly further afield.

Sadly his logbook, pilot's licence and Ministry Licence are lost. He always said he loved the Spitfire because it was so responsive but in truth we don't know if he actually flew one (he did amazing things in his life but he also embellished if he wanted to impress someone!).

Does anyone know if there are records of Vickers war time employees available still? Or if there would be a record of his Min of Civil Aviation engineer's licence? I remember him saying that he had his unique stamp to punch on his engines, and the man from the Ministry coming to the factory inspect their work.
Flyin'Dutch', tr7v8, Rob P and 1 others liked this
By tr7v8
Interesting shows that the evolution of the circular slide rule is nothing new.
I need to get to grips with it. Although I do a lot of the conversions as part of the day job on a calculator so I am more used to that
T6Harvard liked this
By Rob P
editmonkey wrote: (if you've read/watched the Pullman novels)!

And if you haven't watched the recent series you have missed a rare treat in Ruth Wilson's defining Mrs Coulter

Rob P
editmonkey, T6Harvard liked this
By Rob L
I'm old enough to have learned maths using a straight slide rule and log* books. I'm also old enough to have learned flying using a whizz-wheel.

It didn't take me long during my initial PPL training to wish that I'd had a circular slide-rule back when I first learned maths in primary school :) .

(Is the whizz-wheel still mandatory for PPL training in this modern day & age?)

Rob

*logarithmic
By Rob L
T6Harvard wrote:Oh yes, good old log tables for O Level maths.

A lot before "O" level for me...I was thinking of "Common Entrance" because that was for transition between primary & secondary school.

I don't mean to detract (drift) from the original thread; so I'll leave now.
Rob
T6Harvard liked this
By PeteSpencer
Rob L wrote:I'm old enough to have learned maths using a straight slide rule and log* books. I'm also old enough to have learned flying using a whizz-wheel.

It didn't take me long during my initial PPL training to wish that I'd had a circular slide-rule back when I first learned maths in primary school :) .

(Is the whizz-wheel still mandatory for PPL training in this modern day & age?)

Rob

*logarithmic

There's an exact example of my school days Aristo slide rule (which I still have) in the museum at Bletchley Park..................