Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Fellsteruk wrote:Sorry yes, I forgot sometimes not everyone has a field/runway with lights etc

I'll be looking into night rating but, yep, will have to be somewhere other than my home field.

Right now I'd be so happy if I could do an evening lesson in summer. All that lovely daylight going to waste!
By Fellsteruk
T6Harvard wrote:
Fellsteruk wrote:Sorry yes, I forgot sometimes not everyone has a field/runway with lights etc

I'll be looking into night rating but, yep, will have to be somewhere other than my home field.

Right now I'd be so happy if I could do an evening lesson in summer. All that lovely daylight going to waste!

What time does your school/airfield close? I know the feeling was sat in bed the other night at 9:30pm, sun still out and was thinking I could be flying.
By T6Harvard
Closes at 5pm!

I Don,t expect staff to work every evening but maybe once a month? I suppose we are too much at the mercy of the weather to make it feasible...

(Sent from atop a sunny hill, listening to a SEP in the distance 8) )
By Fellsteruk
The weather does make it tricky but you would think that one day a week they stay open later, if the weather is poop then they close but if good win win.

To be fair I think it’s mostly driven my instructor availability maybe they don’t want to work too late I guess even they have family to get back too.

Mine works later one day in the week but only till 6ish one of the others Instructors has said he’ll work late if the demand is there so may be worth asking them if enough ask they may start doing it.

I wish I was on a hill enjoying the sun currently stuck in the garden digging footings :(

And I’m sure my bald spot is burnt :oops:
T6Harvard liked this
As I closed in on exercise 14 my ab initio school/club - the hugely lamented Wellesbourne Aviation - arranged some lessons on June weekday evenings for me, up to that solo flight. It was something to look forward to as I worked through the day.

Fondly recalled.

Rob P
T6Harvard and 1 others liked this
By Fellsteruk
tr7v8 wrote:I wonder if part of the issue is the neighbours? I feel sorry for those around my airfield when I am doing circuits. Ours closes at 18:00

This may sound rude.... if the airfield was there first then... they knew what they moved next too. :)
T6Harvard liked this
T6Harvard wrote:I'll be looking into night rating but, yep, will have to be somewhere other than my home field.

You'll be glad to know that they do do night ratings, but only once the clocks change :wink:. Not all the FIs there have done the night FI addon, so it ends up being a few students a year for those who can, otherwise the days get a bit ridiculously long for the chosen ones.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
AlanC wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:I'll be looking into night rating but, yep, will have to be somewhere other than my home field.

You'll be glad to know that they do do night ratings, but only once the clocks change :wink:. Not all the FIs there have done the night FI addon, so it ends up being a few students a year for those who can, otherwise the days get a bit ridiculously long for the chosen ones.

Oh good news, thanks. Obviously I haven't yet enquired because I need to be a bit more (a lot more) competent at basic flying first! :mrgreen:

Sooo, an evening flight in summer...... that's my first priority 8)
tr7v8 liked this
skydriller wrote:"Aerodrome opening hours" ? Of what is this that you speak... :?:
And night flying? Thats why we have PCL... :wink:

All the airfields don't have pcl's and you have always to look closely the notams.
By Paul_Sengupta
AlanC wrote:otherwise the days get a bit ridiculously long for the chosen ones.

When I did my night rating, my instructor and I were flying until about 2.30am. I was also doing my IMC rating, so we actually did quite a bit of that at night too.