Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Fellsteruk
Revision flight this weekend maybe another depending on when I do the test.

From what I’ve been told the whole thing is 2 to 2 and half hours flight time not including the time spent pre and post flight. “I’m sure someone else will confirm who’s an FI or recently done it”.

It includes everything, started with Nav, you’re given a 3leg route, on the 2nd you’ll get a diversion, VOR tracking then general handling after which back to the airfield for a few circuits.

And a sigh of relief :)
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Fellsteruk wrote:Revision flight this weekend maybe another depending on when I do the test.

Good plan.
From what I’ve been told the whole thing is 2 to 2 and half hours flight time not including the time spent pre and post flight.

That's not too bad. Hard work, but not a nightmare.

It includes everything, started with Nav, you’re given a 3leg route, on the 2nd you’ll get a diversion, VOR tracking then general handling after which back to the airfield for a few circuits.
And a sigh of relief :)

Sounds like a walk in the park.... :wink: :D

Once you've got your skills test done and dusted, if you're interested, remind me to tell you about the nightmare of suffering that was my NFT, 29 years ago.

Trust me, you don't want to hear the story now. Spoiler alert: I did pass, but I nearly punched the examiner.
I never actually flew a three leg QXC

The story involving (my) incompetence and a snowstorm are well known here.

Rob P
By TopCat
Fellsteruk wrote:@TopCat you gotta share that one.

Well, ok, if you insist...

I still literally sweat a little at the memory.

Back then I always struggled to sleep before flying the next day, and I'd had 2 hours sleep the previous night. I would never have flown solo, but as it was dual I thought I'd give it a go, as the worst that could happen would be I'd fail and have to do it again.

It was a bastard of a hot day, with constant thermals that nearly ripped the wings off.

The 1st leg was Goodwood to Membury on the M4. That actually went Ok.

Then the 2nd was going to be to Weston Zoyland, almost as far as Taunton but of course I knew I wouldn't get that far. In those days they made you navigate at low level on the 2nd leg, to simulate having to deal with a lowering cloudbase. So I was bouncing along at about 500' AGL in the thermals (a lot worse close to the ground), weaving around the villages and fortunately noticing the gliding site at Keevil in time to avoid it. I got as far as Frome by which time I was feeling really sick.

Then I was required to divert. I believe the test requirements even then were to give a heading and estimate for the diversion field, but I had to actually fly the whole diversion. From Frome I flew to Old Sarum (just north of Salisbury, now sadly closed), did a low approach and go around there, and then had to get myself back to Goodwood following an inbound radial to the SAM VOR, and getting a clearance through the Solent CTA.

All the while my examiner was writing almost continuously, in minuscule writing on his kneeboard.

2:25 my log book says, for that little jaunt, at the end of which I was feeling really nauseous with a blinding headache. I didn't actually throw up, but I was pretty close to it. I then got about half an hour debrief on all the many, many mistakes I'd made, and I was convinced I'd failed. I just wanted him to shut up. But at the end he said...

"... but all in all, it wasn't a bad trip, so I'm going to pass you".

I nearly thumped him for dragging out the suffering for so long. Yes, I know - I'm probably exaggerating a bit, but with the lack of sleep, the nausea and the headache, it was all a bit other-worldly by that point. I certainly didn't take in any of the debrief.

It had been a hateful, hateful flight, with not a single moment of enjoyment. But the next day, I was feeling a little more positive, and thought that if I could cope with all that, I stood a half decent chance of doing ok.

The QXC was about 3 weeks later, and the GFT three weeks after that. Both were very easy in comparison.

Hopefully your Skills Test will be a bit less of an ordeal :)
T6Harvard and 1 others liked this
By Fellsteruk
Wow that’s some adventure but sounds like you did great I know what it’s like to fly when hot and dripping with sweat, that feeling of peeling yourself of the vinyl seats :)

Fingers crossed through... I don’t have a similar experience :)
TopCat liked this
By FlightDek
Fellsteruk wrote:Revision flight this weekend maybe another depending on when I do the test.

Have you done a mock test? I went with a different instructor to get a fresh perspective on how I was doing. He pointed out a few things that helped me in the real test.

Not as in-depth as the real thing. Nav to Tatenhill and overhead join to go-around (as you pointed out you don't get much overhead join practice at Hawarden). Then diversion practice and finally general handling. One key bit of advice was that during the PFL keep an eye out for other landing options further on from your chosen field - chances are the EFATO will be immediately after, during the climb-out
T6Harvard and 1 others liked this
By Fellsteruk
@FlightDek not a full one end to end but I’ve done a mock test for the Nav part and had a separate season on general handling I’m more comfortable on the Nav side of things so gonna focus my revision on general handling bits.

@Iceman just checked and got 64hours and 15mins logged this includes five hours for the night rating and four hours of post covid lockdown revision at different lockdown points “we’ve had a few”

So around 55 hours had covid not happened not including the skills test but I’m happy with that, 80% of this was at Liverpool and give the time taken to get out of CAS and back in leaves less time in the training area so always knew 45hours would come and go. :thumleft:

Edit: proper training started in June 2019 so all being well... two years however my first flying lesson was in 1994 so some journey getting to the point to be able to do proper training :)
johnm, Cessna571 liked this
By Fellsteruk
Artschool wrote:congrats! btw I never knew you could get a night rating before the PPL!

Yeah you can. Well technically you don’t have the rating until you get your license in your hand. However you can complete the training which is four hours duel one of which will be a navX and an hour of solo circuits which included five full stop landings.

When you apply for your license you just add the night rating so your ppl comes with the night rating on it.

Providing you’ve done your first solo and good in the circuit you should be able to do the night rating, it’s a great thing to do in the winter when it’s dark early and whilst the five hours cannot be counted towards your ppl it’s five hours of experience which will only help you.

I don’t intend to do much night flying but if I’m late getting back from somewhere I have the peace of mind of still being legal if I end up in the dark, maybe a few night tours of the Liverpool waterfront and blackpool prom or bonfire night but that’s about it for me in terms of night, I wouldn’t do cross country I don’t think until I have IRR.

I’d recommend anyone to do it as part of their ppl training.
T6Harvard liked this
Fellsteruk wrote:I’d recommend anyone to do it as part of their ppl training.

It's a fun idea, but totally impractical for most student PPLs not flying from a major airfield

Rob P
Artschool liked this