Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Fellsteruk
I think today was about my sixth or seventh slot booked for the cross country but the weather gods was looking down on me today with some pretty clear skies and limited winds.

Got a little treat in the form of a chinook fueling whilst at Gloucester and a Twix and can of Fanta from the new cafe in Halfpenny green.

Great service as always from both and on the way home the sun really got going, I was a little sweaty by the time I got back, wasn’t helped by the fact my car was now baking 40degrees :twisted:

Was awake at 6am started planning was at Hawarden for 8:30am and got back home about an hour ago and I’m totally knackered but chuffed to have them three QXC entries in my log book.

Now just to book a test date, hopefully that doesn’t have as many false starts.

I’m on cloud nine :cyclopsani:
Miscellaneous, JAFO, FlightDek and 10 others liked this
By Fellsteruk
TopCat wrote:Very well done!! :thumleft:

You can have a short break to recover but we require a detailed report!

:cheers: :cheers:

It’s all a bit fuzzy to be fair, a little sad it’s over and it almost didn’t happen due to a fault.

Took an age to get through to Gloucester to get PPR which delayed me a little and then just as I was noting down ATIS my Attitude Indicator started going mental, shaking, spinning and going way off like it was demented.

Suction was ok, power cycled, turned everything off but made no difference, gave it a few mins but nothing. had to shutdown and get the boss man to take a look.

I was bricking it at the thought of canning my QXC. It Did the same for him but after a few mins it came back to life and was ok. We agreed that if it happens again before I take off I’d come back but thankfully it was ok and given the blue sky I’d have zero issues seeing the horizon and so if it did fail at some point in flight It wouldn’t be an issue.

Thankfully, it was rock solid for the most part had a wobble en-route for a second but was fine so no drama.

Route was Hawarden, shawberry, Gloucester, halfpenny green, hawarden.

First leg, down to Gloucester was uneventful but busy london FIS was sooo busy and lots of traffic so was a bit more nervous due to that. Gloucester was busy but I think that’s always the case, sadly the costa coffee machine wasn’t accepting any of my cards :(

Had a bit of a wait watching the chinook and then off.

Second leg was pretty short, direct to halfpenny green, encountered a lot more traffic including one who didn’t respect the fact that I had right away and rather than going behind me, wasn’t too sure what to do as they were coming at me from the left at a very similar level so I decided to climb to get some separation.

Halfpenny green also busy a few in the circuit and as I was overhead one was on dead side and as I descended one behind me, was downwind number three. Looking and looking I could see one on final but not the 2nd I noticed to the right they where a fair bit away must have been one very long crosswind anyway I slowed and got behind them and got down.

At this point I was a bit sweaty as it was boiling and started to get a bit of a headache, I think I was a little dehydrated.

Anyway parked up on the grass and decided I needed a drink some sugar and a bit of a rest so an ice cold can of Fanta and a twix whilst sat on the grass, what better way to spend the afternoon.

Final leg back home was also pretty nominal apart from me not setting DI /compass correctly and heading in the wrong direction but I caught it quick enough and was back on track.

Was just joining left base for 22 at Hawarden and the beluga was also ready to depart so I got caught in some orbits before landing, floated a little bit but down safe, was excited to be back home in one piece but also sad it was all over :(
Aerials, JAFO, T6Harvard and 1 others liked this
By Fellsteruk
FlightDek wrote:Nice one :thumleft:

I just missed you - arrived at Hawarden at 15:00

Bet you now feel like a real pilot and think that this whole process was worth it. That's how I felt after my QXC

Yeah sounds like it.

I do feel like a proper pilot now however not a very good one, very much feel I’m at a “fake and shake” kinda level. Nice to see my P1 time rack up a little more :)
T6Harvard liked this
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Couple of things, 1) The AI probably doesn't have anything to do with electricity and 2) There's a restaurant/pub at Gloucester just across the road from the "terminal". :D

An electrically driven vacuum pump maybe? Otherwise it would need those trumpet things like wot I’ve got.

@Fellsteruk
Well done with QXC, I’ve forgot what comes next but you’re pretty close.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A great story of a fairly typical flight in the UK. :D

Well handled I would say which is good news for the next step as well as the long term future :thumright:

Most AI are powered by an engine driven vacuum pump.
T6Harvard and 1 others liked this
By Morten
Well done. Sounds like a great day : :thumleft:
Fellsteruk wrote: ...Anyway parked up on the grass and decided I needed a drink some sugar and a bit of a rest so an ice cold can of Fanta and a twix whilst sat on the grass, what better way to spend the afternoon....

I used to do exactly that. When I got my license and in between taking friends and family up I would go out and fly my own QXCs, every time visiting 2 or more airfields I'd not been to before.
My staple diet was always a can of Coke and a Twix at each airfield. And that wonderful feeling of being one of those magnificent men...

Looking forward to the next instalment :thumright:
T6Harvard, bladerunner911 and 1 others liked this
By Fellsteruk
Thanks all.

I think the AI is a vac powered one, the vac was pretty stable around 5, I did notice it was a little lower at the end of the flight but still above 4 also the other vac instruments were ok so I think it may be the AI itself is on its way out maybe?

I’m pretty sure a Twix, maybe a lion bar and a can will be my regular pre departure snack, sitting on the grass watching the movements knowing you flew in was amazing and made me think about all the places I hope to visit in the summer once I get my license, the list is growing :)

@T6Harvard in fairness the beluga isn’t as daunting anymore “it is epic though” as it once was. One of the amazing things about hawarden is several beluga flights in the week sometime several a day, they take priority but I never have an issue with that.

My most memorable moments was on final for runway 04 shortly after a beluga had landed as I was on approach it was backtracking towards me and I was planning to go around, sadly no go pro on that day but was pretty amazing.

Most mornings there is a 9:40ish arrival, I’ve tried several times to time my departure to be at the hold as it landing to get a good pic/vid but I’m always too early lol, one day maybe.

Spoke with school today just waiting for dates for my skills test, hopefully won’t have to wait too long but equally I’m bricking it :shock:
T6Harvard liked this
By TopCat
Fellsteruk wrote:dates for my skills test, hopefully won’t have to wait too long but equally I’m bricking it :shock:

Are you planning to fly again before the skills test? There's no reason not to, if you're not confident.

Just out of interest, how long does a skills test take, if it's all in one session?

It was two tests, back in the day - a General Flight Test (GFT) and a Navigation Flight Test (NFT). My GFT was an hour and a half, and my NFT was almost two and a half hours. I can't believe a Skills Test would be anywhere near that long in total, surely?
2Donkeys and 1 others liked this