Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Fellsteruk
Just curious if there is any tolerance with the precision landing I mean on one hand it’s a precision landing so should be just that but if your off by a bit is it acceptable or would you be asked or could you ask for a 2nd attempt?

I’m starting to overthink shizz :(
By Fellsteruk
Yeah I guess it’s a short field landing in so much you have to hit the numbers or you’ll run into the hedge.

Spoilt by the luxury of very long runways has resulted in my landings not always been too accurate on touchdown, don’t get me wrong I’m not floating halfway down i still get down and exit first exit
By Fellsteruk
Just checked it is the short field one under section four of the exam

SECTION 4. APPROACH AND LANDING PROCEDURES
Aerodrome arrival procedures
*Precision landing (short field landing), crosswind, if suitable conditions available
*Flapless landing
*Approach to landing with idle power (SE only)
Touch and go
Go around from low height
ATC compliance and RT procedures
Actions after flight
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Fellsteruk wrote:Just checked it is the short field one under section four of the exam

SECTION 4. APPROACH AND LANDING PROCEDURES
Aerodrome arrival procedures
*Precision landing (short field landing), crosswind, if suitable conditions available

that quote should be two separate lines:
Standard Doc 19, test content:
• Precision or short field landing. This may be combined with a bad visibility/low level circuit as part of the assessment of low speed handling. To assess this exercise, the examiner may limit the amount of runway available.
• Cross wind landing (when practical).
By MachFlyer
FlightDek wrote:Makes sense now

Hopefully on your test you'll be using 04 - no glide approaches allowed :thumleft:

They changed the circuit direction the other day to allow a glide approach to 04, there was only 1 aeroplane in the air at the time though :D
By MattL
As Examiners all we want to see is an approach and landing to a nominated point (ie not floating down a huge runway) using the POH / AFM technique for the shortest landing distance. For example in a PA28 this is Flap 40, power off (ie throttle closed for the round out) and maximum braking (the examiner will probably brief this to be verbally simulated rather than performed). This is the ‘normal approach’ and there aren’t different charts or techniques for it.

I would just recommend you are clear for your aircraft type on what techniques / conditions are in the AFM/POH and that you can fly those. For example, I sometimes get test candidates using flap settings that are not in the performance charts or normal procedures.

Good luck with it
By eltonioni
Hitting the numbers (or earlier) is one thing, actually stopping without breaking something or hitting the hedge is another. Have you actually had the chance to use a short, probably bumpy, maybe muddy grass strip? If not it’s worth convincing your instructor to go do some.

Then you have to get out again which might be the bit that challenges some instructors. :twisted:

After all we want to be able to to fly practically and not just from one boring big hard flat runway to another.
By Fellsteruk
Shortest I’ve landed on about 1200 meters so not really :) however I have and do simulated a 450/500m runway. appreciate that’s not the same.

Instructor is happy to do as you suggested, we’re gonna spend some time at Barton at some point so I get some grass/short experience.
By FlightDek
I trained at Hawarden and then got a share at Liverpool so was used to big runways. First time I went to Barton I turned final, looked at the tiny bit of grass in front of me and though "How the flip (or something similar) am I supposed to land there?" :lol: :lol: