Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By comparison, the longest runway I've used is Turweston at 1250mtrs.

450mtrs is my regular runway length, but we regularly get spamcans visiting and they manage it fine.

as @eltonioni said, get your instructor to take you to a farm strip for an hour. Tight circuits, short narrow runways. Sideslip will become your best friend!

The day you need to force land into a field, you will need these skills, it also opens up your destination list once qualified. But, remember, the hedge at the far end of the field is a much better option than the one at the near end!
Charles Hunt liked this
IMO grass runways are much more forgiving! You can land it firm and with some sideslip without it feeling like your teeth will fall out! So on short/grass, approach at the right speed, flare normally but don't try to hold off for a greaser! Be prepared to go around earlier rather than too late if it looks like you are landing long.
Cessna571 liked this
Fellsteruk wrote:Shortest I’ve landed on about 1200 meters so not really :) however I have and do simulated a 450/500m runway. appreciate that’s not the same.

Instructor is happy to do as you suggested, we’re gonna spend some time at Barton at some point so I get some grass/short experience.

Correct speed and glide on final and it won't matter if the airfield is 500m or 1200m. Pick your aim point, set the correct flaps and speed and you'll be fine. I'm sure that's what you were taught, can't imagine an instructor letting you get away with landing just about anywhere on the runway just because it's "long".

The difference between a short and a long runway is that on a longer runway you have the option of landing anyway even if you come in a bit high or fast. Don't use that option: go around if things aren't right and try again.

When you do your skills test, be aware that it's very possible that this is the time in your flying career when you do the absolute best landings. You may never have the amount of recent experience that you have at that time. The quality of landings, as with many things in aviation, is the result of a combination of total experience and currency.

Good luck!!
By eltonioni
Miscellaneous wrote:Personally I find the position of the exit the deciding factor in how long the landing is. An exit at 300-400m is when you have a longer than usual landing. An exit at the opposite end is when you land your shortest. :D

Nowt to do with runway length. :wink:

Oh yea, I forgot what that feels like. I once flew around a mile @ 80kts down Cape Town's runway at 10' off the ground before putting the barn doors out and plopping it on just before the GA exit - the mind being fully concentrated by the B737 coming up very quickly behind. :lol:

Fellsteruk wrote:Instructor is happy to do as you suggested, we’re gonna spend some time at Barton at some point so I get some grass/short experience.

You could get an Airbus into Barton. :lol:

(Good call though :thumleft: )