Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By GAFlyer4Fun
You would definitely know if you hit a bird that size.
I once had a bird strike on takeoff from one much smaller and it was very loud.

At least you could still land off that approach if you did have a bird strike.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@johnm, your TB20 obviously attracts birds. I seem to recall that Rich T had a major bird strike on return from his initial IR test.

I once minced a load coming out of Le Touquet in the Seneca. The aircraft took a bit of cleaning on return to Shoreham, and that wasn’t entirely due to the state of my trousers :shock: !

Iceman 8)
johnm and 1 others liked this
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Fellsteruk wrote:if I hit them at least I have a runway ahead and I can get down, even if engine died I’d make it down

Exactly right. You're almost on the ground; making it to the field is assured.

So land.

Anything that could be wrong now will still be wrong if you carry it into the air, and if you've got shredded bird in the air intake, the engine is about to stop.

A go-around is for when there is nothing wrong with the aircraft, and either the runway is suddenly obstructed, or you're not happy with the approach.

Even though you're quite a new pilot, you managed to successfully override the "WTF" effect, and still get down in one piece, even if it wasn't pretty, and despite the fact that the conditions were more difficult than you're used to. You did the right thing calling it a day and letting the adrenaline wear off.

Good work :thumleft:
bladerunner911, T6Harvard and 1 others liked this