Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Jammy888
So, I have been collared by my instructor today asking when Im going to be getting started with the Exams

I have been using EasyPPL online and Im wondering if anyone has an opinion on the order to take the exams.

PS. Im 15hrs in so I'm going to go for Air Law first but I presume there is best practice with the order to revise and take them

:thumleft:
By tr7v8
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Note that the sticky refers to the old rule of everything being passed in 6 sittings. That no longer applies, Now it is e exams you can do them all separately, which is what I am doing.
I did Aviation Law, Operational Procedures, Human Perf, Aircraft General Knowledge, Principles of Flight, Communications
Shortest gap between exams for me was 2 weeks.
The 18 month rule for all your exams & passing your GFT 2 years after the last exam still apply.
By Bathman
And if one goes out of validity then you have to resit all 9.

So I won't be doing Air Law before my first solo.
By leiafee
After airlaw, I just alternated ones I thought looked easier or more interesting with ones I thought looked more of a slog (or had larger amounts of content)

Since the sittings nonsense has gone, whatever works for persuading your brain to do the studying is the right order!
By Paul_Sengupta
One thing to generally put off is Nav, until you've been taught how to do it and got a little bit of experience doing it under your belt. You don't *need* to and can learn all that on your own beforehand, but a bit of practical application does help.
T6Harvard, WelshRichy liked this
By scd975
... and once you start on NAV, then just continue into FPP, as there is substantial overlap.
By Fellsteruk
Great advice and I 2nd it. I started mine when the sittings rule was in so did air law ops and human performance together. After that I just did one at a time and left Nav and flight planning till last.

I hated Nav found it the hardest, wizzes wheel blew my mind.
By Paul_Sengupta
Nav was the only one I didn't get 100% in, due to the usual thickness of a line and two options either side thing.
By Fellsteruk
No shame in that, I think of all exams it’s the one where you have to mostly apply knowledge in a practical sense and given the time it takes to calculate headings and all that I found I finished with no time left to check my answers yet the comms exam I finished in about 10mins.

Thanks to sky demon you’ll never need the wizz wheel in real life planning
By Paul_Sengupta
Yes, quite, most of the exams I finished in 5 mins, but the Nav exam took right up to the time allocated, with no checking time left over.

This was back in 1996 though, but I guess things haven't changed that much! :D
By TLRippon
Just an observation.

Much of the content of the Nav exam is theoretical and has only a passing resemblance to what you will use in practical navigation. Remember three questions will also be on radio nav.
My suggestion is to start studying the theory before you begin practical nav training. It’s a large subject and comes more than half way through the flying course for most so try not to put yourself under pressure to cram for it close to the end.
There are quite a few overlap areas now between flight planning and nav and questions do appear in the new banks in each other’s exams.
T6Harvard, scd975 liked this