Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By NewbieFH
Hey All,

just wanted to let everyone know I had my skills test yesterday and it ended with a pass.

There were lots of learning experiences to take away, I cannot tell you how nervous I was (threw up on the way to the airport), but top 3 things I would say to anyone that is taking it,
- Take your time
- Take your time
- Take your time

honestly I was convinced I had failed at various points either because I wasn't doing something fast enough or corrected myself to often etc... but at the debrief the examiner said he was more happy that I had taken time and vocalised what I was doing then "just doing something"

happy to answer any questions anyone has, but looking forward to the next 25 hours prior to doing IR(R) hopefully around the summer in time for autumn
Rob P, ArthurG, cjrpaterson and 6 others liked this
By Nero
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Many, many congratulations!

I'd love to hear a brief synopsis of what you did before, during and after the test. Not the throwing up part tho :)

~ Scott
T6Harvard liked this
By johnm
Very well done and exactly the right attitude, though throwing up is a little excessive :? . The take your time advice is very sound as is the supporting idea of plan, plan, plan.

Especially when instrument flying, you need to be thinking about the next stage while flying the current one.
T6Harvard liked this
By GrahamB
Well done.

My advice regarding the IMCR is that if you are going to start it in the minimum hours after obtaining the PPL, make sure you use those 25 hours to the full by visiting as many different ATC airfields while flying as accurately as you can. Not only will this help get your radio work really slick, but will also keep your flight planning and execution skills tuned in.

Spending the next 25 hours doing local flights taking up your mates to see their houses would be a wasted opportunity.
TopCat, johnm, T6Harvard liked this
By PeteSpencer
Congratulations on the PPL and well done for already thinking ahead towards your future training with the IR(R).

I did the IMCr 28 years ago just under 20 hours post PPL.

I passed but it was hard and I manged it in a week on a total immersion residential course.

Why was it hard? Frankly it was far too soon after PPL:
I found maintaining altitude and an accurate heading took up 80% of my time, leaving little time for the instrument work (60% of the time was in IMC, so no opportunities for 'peeping')

So my message is before you do the IMCr/IR(R) be absolutely certain that you can accurately trim the aeroplane and nail the speeds so that maintaining altitude and a constant heading for fairly long periods comes as second nature, and you don't spend more IR instructor money on something which after all you (should have?) learnt during the PPL.

And if you can find an instructor prepared to teach you to IR tolerances then so much the better.

But whatever you do , enjoy the process: It will undoubtedly make you a better pilot. :wink:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Fri May 14, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By T6Harvard
That's brilliant!! Congratulations Commander.
You need a change of user name now!

Another vote for a synopsis, please.

Savour the moment and tell everyone you meet for the next few weeks/months/years :mrgreen:
Last edited by T6Harvard on Fri May 14, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Fellsteruk
Congratulations That’s amazing !!

Keen to hear how much and what was covered in the oral part of the exam.

Again congrats