Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Pilot1969
Can someone please give me advise. I am nearing the completion of my PPL and have just left my flight school due to abuse by the instructor. He would never answer my questions, make demeaning comments when asked a question such as (this requires brains, intelligence etc, that’s a stupid question etc) to the point where I would try and avoid flying with him at all costs but as head of training he insisted that I fly with him or else I won’t get to do my Cross country. In addition he would frequently get me to skip checklists because he was always in a hurry to get to the next lesson, on one occasions he got me to undo my seatbelt and lean out to scrape the windshield at 3000 feet
I few days ago I had enough and just walked away. In addition to the humiliation I felt at this instructors hands, I feel that mocking people into being too scared to ask questions is a significant safety risk to prospective pilots. I feel he should be held to account but I am not sure where to go to. Can someone please advise.
Well a couple of hours since you posed the question! I do hope you realise this is the kind of place in which you will be lambasted for having the temerity to suggest your instructor is not god! Somebody somewhere can ‘easily identify’ which school you are talking about and probably drinks with your instructor! :roll: :roll:

Be afraid. Be very afraid! :shock:

On the other hand, there are utter w@nkers in every walk of life. Find yourself a far better flying school with far better instructors and tell everyone you talk to about your experience, so they can avoid the individual you are talking about!

Much like the victims of crime. It wasn’t your fault. It sounds like you were just unlucky, but you’re definitely thinking along the right lines! Onwards and upwards.

It’s difficult to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by TURKEYS!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Thanks I have indeed found another school but just thought there must be some regulator to formally raise this to. You are right, he thinks he is god and expected to be treated as such, utter obedience and no questions asked
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Have to say, although I might be completely wrong.... I'm not quite 100% certain this is for real. Joined the forum today, this is the first post, almost ready for QXC. Being told by the CFI to lean out, seatbelt undone, would have to be one of the unlikeliest things I'd hear from an instructor.

Not impossible, but quite a coincidence, given recent discussions. OP, apologies if you're totally genuine, but I'm just the teeniest bit sceptical here.
By MattL
Hi - I am a senior examiner and head of training who also works with two of the main representative bodies and CAA on a number of training issues. If you PM me details I guarantee they will be treated in full confidence / anonymity and I can pass on concerns to the relevant bodies.
By Sooty25
Pilot1969 wrote:......, on one occasions he got me to undo my seatbelt and lean out to scrape the windshield at 3000 feet

1. What were you flying in? About the only aeroplane I can think of that might be used for training that you could do this in, is a Super Cub.

2. Scraping what? Snow? Ice? Seagull poo?
By Sooty25
Sooty25 wrote:
Pilot1969 wrote:......, on one occasions he got me to undo my seatbelt and lean out to scrape the windshield at 3000 feet

1. What were you flying in? About the only aeroplane I can think of that might be used for training that you could possibly do this in, is a Super Cub.

By Rob P
MattL wrote:Hi - If you PM me details...

As a new user he can't.

Rob P
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You are probably best to discuss it in person with the CFI of your new school, after your training records have been transferred. They will be able to help you determine whether it has been a personality clash, which can be common and there is no law against, or something worth passing up the food chain. They will almost certainly know the individual concerned.

In theory you could file a MOR if safety was compromised ( https://www.caa.co.uk/Our-work/Make-a-r ... reporting/ ) but do talk it through with another instructor first.
Thanks I have indeed mentioned it to my new flight instructor and showed them the video of scraping the windscreen. I doubt a personality clash would justify mocking someone’s questions or describing their questions as stupid as well as other demeaning and inappropriate language. My instructor said that it was completely inappropriate. I just don’t want anyone else to be exposed to what I had been through.
Last edited by Pilot1969 on Fri May 07, 2021 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sooty25 wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:

1. What were you flying in? About the only aeroplane I can think of that might be used for training that you could possibly do this in, is a Super Cub.

1- Cessna 150
2- scraping Ice
MattL wrote:Hi - I am a senior examiner and head of training who also works with two of the main representative bodies and CAA on a number of training issues. If you PM me details I guarantee they will be treated in full confidence / anonymity and I can pass on concerns to the relevant bodies.

Thank you. I would be more than happy to speak to you directly but as I have just learnt, I do not have access to PM yet. Any other suggestions on how to discuss?