Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Paul_Sengupta wrote:I've vaguely added up what I've spent on flying over the years. And then thought, "Meh, who needs an Aston Martin anyway?"...

I know someone with a DB9, who once said to me he was working his way up to the ultimate goal of flying.

Bizarrely, I used to race a Classic Sportscar, I swapped because flying is cheaper!
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
When I started flying at Redhill, I maintained a diary of every lesson and a record of every penny spent, flying, landing fees, kit, medical, etc. (I still have all of those diaries). I stopped when it went through the first £100k :shock: ! I could have had a bigger house or flash cars, but I think I got the better deal :D :thumright:.

@Fellsteruk, you certainly did the right thing, learning at a tower-controlled airfield. With that experience, you’ll find it far easier going to non-controlled airfields and you won’t be intimidated by the prospect of joining or crossing controlled airspace. Your RT will be a lot better for it too.

Iceman 8)
T6Harvard, Flyingkeyboard and 1 others liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
I personally think full ATC is easier, they just tell you what to do, with A/G you need to figure it all out yourself.

Iceman wrote:or flash cars

There have been times over the years when I thought maybe, just maybe, you could have spent just that little bit more on a car...how many different shades of red was the previous MX5...? :D
Iceman liked this
Paul_Sengupta wrote:..how many different shades of red was the previous MX5...? :D

Pah!

It still had 50/50 headroom and a rifle bolt something or other.

Rob P
Iceman liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
I knew I shouldn't have named it....

;-)

(for those newcomers to the forum, there used to be an ongoing forum argument between Rob and Vince C about the MX5 - so much so that no one ever dared mention the car in case it reignited the discussion - it was just referred to as TCTSNBN - The Car That Shall Not Be Named)
T6Harvard, Rob P liked this
By Iceman
@Paul_Sengupta, the red MX5 was a real go-kart, with all the finesse thereof :lol: !

The second MX5 finally went to the big scrap heap in the sky at the end of February with 266,000 on the clock. Still going brilliantly but falling apart cosmetically.

I now have my new MX5 which is really quite modern and plush (in comparison). No more pop-up headlights, but with a 2.0 under the bonnet, that rifle-bolt thingy is proving useful, Only trouble now is getting the power down, as its traction control is a bit unsubtle.

Iceman 8)
Rob P liked this
Paul_Sengupta wrote:(for those newcomers to the forum, there used to be an ongoing forum argument between Rob and Vince C about the MX5 - so much so that no one ever dared mention the car in case it reignited the discussion - it was just referred to as TCTSNBN - The Car That Shall Not Be Named)

I guess we couldn't have that discussion in these woke times as my contention that the choice of a CTSNBN was basically gender based would have me banned for life :shock:

Interestingly, if you can find an original, pop-up lights CTSNBN that isn't reducing itself to a pile of red dust, hasn't got intergalactic travel recorded, and hasn't been used by the drifting people they are starting to appreciate very nicely.

Not sure that would compensate for the embarrassment factor though.

Rob P
Iceman liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Shame Iceman's just scrapped his then! (though he had been to the moon in it...and it never really looked right since someone put that big dent in the door. I think I'm still missing some fillings from the last time I rode in it.)

You hardly every see females driving them these days. It's moved on, and females tend to be under represented in the classic car scene.

Welcome to (more) comfortable motoring Iceman!

Hmm, I could have bought six old MX5s for the price of my last annual...
Rob P, Iceman liked this
Thread drift alert.

I have a friend who calls some cars “Hairdressers cars”.

When my brother in law bought a modern VW beetle, I said “that’s a hairdressers car if ever I saw one” and my wife said “no it’s not”,

she then said “what’s the funny little beaker thing in the coaming of it”

“You mean the ‘flower vase’ ? It’s where you put a single live flower”.

“Yeah right, very funny.. you’re making that up to support your hairdresser’s car theory. “

5 minutes of googling later....

“Wow... who designs a small vase into the dashboard of a car for a single live flower, you’re right, it IS a hairdressers car. “
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I knew I shouldn't have named it....

;-)

(for those newcomers to the forum, there used to be an ongoing forum argument between Rob and Vince C about the MX5 - so much so that no one ever dared mention the car in case it reignited the discussion - it was just referred to as TCTSNBN - The Car That Shall Not Be Named)

TCTSNBN ?

Isn’t that a car that you take on a solo tour, on your own, with the roof down, with a driving instructor sat next to you?