Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Crash one
skydriller wrote:
TopCat wrote:
Crash one wrote:I once kicked in a fair bit of sideslip to lose some height on final, “We don’t teach asymmetric flight anymore”.

:shock: :shock:

Really?

Really Yes.

I was practicing for the french precision flying competition 10 years or so ago and on landing had the then aeroclub CFI start to ball me out as he had seen me sideslipping on final as he cycled to the club... Luckily the then President (ex FAF) wandered in and came to my defence or I would have been turfed out "for deliberately flying with crossed controls which is not allowed under the JAR syllabus, so we dont do this at our aeroclub either"....

hmmm...

Crash one wrote:I could rant about the syllabus content including proper stalls rather than the 152 mush

Have you tried stalling a Ralleye... :wink:
(Hint: they dont!)

Regards, SD...

I wonder what the syllabus will look like in another ten years!
By Fellsteruk
I did some side slip recap on Sunday, used to drop some height on approach or “new one to me but made perfect sense” if you cannot see out the windscreen if it’s covered by oil or smoke side slip so you can see the landing field out the side window...

I did side slip very early on in my PPl training. So much so I’d forgotten about it until this week. I’ll be using it again though :p
editmonkey liked this
By AlanC
Crash one wrote:
TopCat wrote:
Crash one wrote:I once kicked in a fair bit of sideslip to lose some height on final, “We don’t teach asymmetric flight anymore”.

:shock: :shock:

Really?

Yes, and she wasn’t pleased! Nearly jumped out of her skin, felt like she had never seen it before.

I think it's fair to say from postings you haven't always seen the best in the powered training system? I'm glad to say I/my instructor students are quite happy with sideslip, oval circuits, a properly stalled aircraft, and so on... But I do see where the rot sets in from time to time.
By Crash one
AlanC wrote:
Crash one wrote:
TopCat wrote: :shock: :shock:

Really?

Yes, and she wasn’t pleased! Nearly jumped out of her skin, felt like she had never seen it before.

I think it's fair to say from postings you haven't always seen the best in the powered training system? I'm glad to say I/my instructor students are quite happy with sideslip, oval circuits, a properly stalled aircraft, and so on... But I do see where the rot sets in from time to time.

I think you are right, sixty five years ago it was far more relaxed but we were taught to drag a glider round the circuit after three days then passed across to the spare glider and under supervision we were allowed to play with it, bombing the launch point with the spare seat full of snowballs!
Tell people that today and they either think the RAF were a bunch of lunatics or they don’t believe it.
Today everyone is completely risk averse, “don’t even think about going there!”
Maybe I’ve been unlucky sometimes or being unfair not mentioning the numerous good ones. I have had very good instructors, prepared to let me try something to prove to myself that it does what he said it would do. Mostly a long time ago. :D
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
MachFlyer wrote:I got taught to sideslip on my training and that wasn’t long ago? :scratch:

Thats great. I was taught to sideslip and it was long ago... :wink:

AlanC wrote:But I do see where the rot sets in from time to time.

I think one way to describe this is that in the "noughties" the introduction of JAR resulted in, how can I put it, "some confusion", as to minimum standard, syllabus, best practice and regulation... in much the same way as this last year there has been "guidance, rules and law" leading to in some cases "over zellous interpretation" (?) Which then takes time to correct.

Plus, we always remember the extream (good or bad) case over the norm.

Regards, SD..
By Crash one
I don’t remember a particular time when it all changed but I do agree with the confusion.
One instructor will ask for a “tight turn”, I crank it up to 60 deg and he’s yelling 45max!
Two years later another instructor, (I’d better not upset him) so 45deg. “Is that it? What if you were trying to avoid a collision?”
It takes a while to get to know what each differen instructor expects. I’m not saying they are all bad it’s the inconsistency that pi$$es me off. If you want me to avoid a collision I’m quite capable of 90 deg and pull! Just bloody say so! Is it a “text book tight turn” or an emergency avoidance?
I don’t even know if others have felt this or am I just stupid?
By TopCat
Crash one wrote:I’m not saying they are all bad it’s the inconsistency that pi$$es me off.

Contrary to popular opinion, instructors are in fact human beings, with different backgrounds, personalities and levels of experience.

If working with a new instructor, I'd suggest a fairly detailed chat about what it is you and (s)he are each expecting from the session. This is not like a new PPL student where the student knows nothing and just assumes that the instructor is God.

But what's the big deal about finding out that one guy wants 45 degrees max when you want 60 and vice versa? If you're capable of controlling turns perfectly well at various bank angles, give him what he wants. Or find an instructor that you work well with and stick with that.

Life is far too short to sweat the small stuff like this. Expecting consistency from one human being to another is just crazy.
JAFO liked this
By Crash one
Mostly agreed, but training standards have nothing to do with personalities.
I know they are all human.
Maybe I’m getting too old and cranky :D
By Crash one
TopCat wrote:
Crash one wrote:Mostly agreed, but training standards have nothing to do with personalities.

You think?

LOL, if only.

Ok
Is there a syllabus standard of frinstance “tight turn =45deg”? Or is it “you instructor, decide what you are comfortable with”.
The syllabus seems to work by numbers so who is allowed to change them?
By skydriller
Crash one wrote:Maybe I’m getting too old and cranky :D

That'll be it, me too :lol:
(But this last year hasnt helped... :roll: )

Regards, SD..