Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Hi!

Maybe sounds like a stupid question but since passing my test 3 years ago I have always taxied into a parking space. Lately i've found myself having to taxi up to a space and push in. It's such a tight area and being afraid to damage other aircraft I normally keep well away and leave plenty space. The downside to this is that I am usually well off the mark and need to manoeuvre the aircraft into position. Pushing back isn't the issue, it's trying to straighten the aircraft up without the use of a towbar, which my school doesn't have.

I've read online that you can push down the tail (PA-38) and position the nose that way?
By Crash one
With most GA sized aircraft there isn’t much weight on the nosewheel so yes they can be pushed down on the tail, lifting the nose and rotate as reqd.
By Flasheart
I fly a Tomahawk and was once told the same "just push down the tail and it's easy to drag it about". So I've attempted it a few times, never with any success.

The idea seems to hinge on you having arms long enough to wrap around the entire aircraft like big foot giving a bear hug, whilst pulling down, and pushing in the direction you want to go. An impossible task on any small slope, or grass.

Unless I'm missing something or my aircraft is a heavy unit, I've resorted to using the towbar mostly, or pushing back in stages with some tactical steering by jumping in the cockpit.
By TLRippon
If you push/pull from the inner part of the prop blades next to the hub and place your weight on the opposite side of the spinner from the direction you want to turn for pushing and the same side for pulling, the nose wheel will gradually follow you around.
Make sure the mag keys are in your pocket first.
By Dodo
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Perceived wisdom is not to push down on the tail/rear fuselage to lift the nosewheel to turn it.

Something about the structure, but I'm not entirely sure why. I do it occasionally.

Also, it depends on the aircraft. My Bolkow Junior is designed to be manoeuvred on the ground by pushing down on handles provided near the tail, but I would not do it on the PA28 that I also fly.
By Flying_john
Dodo wrote:Perceived wisdom is not to push down on the tail/rear fuselage to lift the nosewheel to turn it.

Something about the structure, but I'm not entirely sure why. I do it occasionally.

Why is this - since in flight the downwards aerodynamic force on the tail has to balance the mass of the engine and everything else forward of the CofG and the main gear is normally quite close to the CofG I would have thought the structure is strong enough to balance that additional load, otherwise we would all have to be very careful in a steep climb?
By mick w
Flying_john wrote:
Dodo wrote:Perceived wisdom is not to push down on the tail/rear fuselage to lift the nosewheel to turn it.

Why is this - since in flight the downwards aerodynamic force on the tail has to balance the mass of the engine and everything else forward of the CofG and the main gear is normally quite close to the CofG I would have thought the structure is strong enough to balance that additional load, otherwise we would all have to be very careful in a steep climb?

Would you pick up your Aircraft with it's Wingtips :?