Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By bladerunner911
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say hello as a new student beginning (hopefully!) my PPL journey.
I've been lurking for a year reading all the fantastic conversations and experiences of everyone.
I've been a flight simmer on and off for about 20 years, but it is only after getting back into it with VR, that I realised that it will never replace the real thing.
Since I am able to afford lessons now I am in my late 40s, I have decided to finally go for my PPL.
I decided to spend the last year studying the books to try and reduce the mental overload for when I start taking lessons, and to have a better chance of passing the exams. I hate exams! I also wanted to learn more and understand the subjects first, in case I realised I was out of my depth :D
Then of course there has been Covid, but I realised I can't wait forever!
I had a trial lesson about a week ago, and ended up with my breakfast in a sick bag, but I have found lots of suggestions for minimising motion sickness. Hopefully it will pass once I start my lessons properly :lol:
I did really enjoy my lesson, but everything felt so much more 'in your face', it was a bit of a sensory overload. But now I know what to expect, I think things will calm down.
Look forward to joining in the conversations more and sharing the journey with you all.

Cheers,
Mark
Morten, MachFlyer, Miscellaneous and 1 others liked this
By bladerunner911
@Charles Hunt Thanks! A Blade Runner fan - had this username since I got on the internet - Bladerunner was taken so I added 911 - the US number for Police / 999. But I do like the old Porsche 911s now you mention it :-)

@FlightDek As they say, you can't take it with you...
I'll be learning at Elstree, just in the process of arranging a lesson schedule.
I reckon I'll need my wits about me, but better to learn in a busy environment in my view, plus it's only 10 miles away from home :-)
Charles Hunt liked this
By T6Harvard
Welcome Mark. If you've been reading along for a while you'll know we are an enthusiastic bunch, and there are plenty of experienced pilots on the forum who cheer us students on and kindly offer advice.

Motion sickness? I was told to always eat something before flying but avoid coffee! Food does settle the stomach, counter intuitive though that seems. I've been OK even in bumpy weather BUT,.... I have yet to tackle stalling :pale: Make sure your instructor sets the fresh air vents as soon as it's safe to do so, that should really help. Definitely relax and enjoy it.

What are you flying?
bladerunner911 liked this
By bladerunner911
Thanks @T6Harvard! I've enjoyed reading your lesson posts and it was one of the reasons I wanted to post and say hello.
Reading about people's different experiences here, it's great to see how everyone does things.
Thanks for the tips, that is pretty much what I have read online about preparing properly.
I will make sure I manage the food part better next time :-)
I have to give real credit to my instructor for handling it in an expert manner, and we all came out clean - I have read some horror stories on the web about aviation sickness in first timers :wink:
There are a few other aids that I have aquired to try and help. It will either go away quickly or become something to 'manage', we shall see!
I will be flying a PA28 unless there is a secret stash of cheap fancy aeroplanes hidden somewhere :lol: This is what I have used in VR over the last year in order to try and get a head start, but I didn't get motion sickness in the VR aeroplane :pukel:
I've never been so excited to do new a activity!
T6Harvard liked this
T6Harvard wrote:Maybe I'll check before the stalls?!

T6, this seems to be a recurring theme. I'm beginning to believe you are apprehensive about stalling, or at least your stomach is. :wink: I think you are worrying about nothing. I doubt very much a C152 is going to drop aggressively enough for your stomach to even notice. It'll probably just stop flying and 'mush' in a 'levelish' attitude. :D

You'll be fine. :thumright:
By T6Harvard
Thanks @Miscellaneous . I don't mind the idea of stalling and recovery but I suspect my stomach may be a bit jumpy during the first couple :pale:
I was fine on my only aerobatic flight but basic aeros are flown smoothly, even though you see the world from some novel angles.
In fact, now you make me think about it, the preventing a spiral dive lesson was fine too, and that was my first time looking out of the side window and recovering it myself.

I'll let you know!
By HedgeSparrow
bladerunner911 wrote:... but I didn't get motion sickness in the VR aeroplane

It may depend on what weather conditions you had set up in the simulator. A little bit of light turbs in the simulator may make the difference. As you've doubtless already found out, motion sickness is largely due to a mismatch between visual information and inner ear balance information. One or the other seems to predominate in some people. Your sim-flying has got you used to visual stimulus without balance stimulus, then you go in a real aeroplane in bouncy weather and the balance system cries foul. I've known it the other way round too with experienced pilots getting sick in a simulator with no motion.

Oh, and stalling can feel a non-event, that's why you need to be trained to recognise it's happening and before it becomes a big event .