Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By bladerunner911
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Thanks everyone for your warm welcomes!
@HedgeSparrow I think you are right about the lack of motion in VR. I have noticed the odd funny sensation in VR in turbulence, but nothing remotely troubling.
Hopefully once I get a few lessons under my belt I'll be fine!
T6Harvard liked this
By bladerunner911
It's really interesting that there is a lot of awareness about the aviation sickness, I don't remember seeing it mentioned over the last year I have been on the site. I'm glad I mentioned it now as there are lots of great comments, thanks everyone! :thumright:
By Wicksay
Adding my welcome to the Forum and a completely new outlook on life. Suddenly, somehow the planet and life will feel different to you, as you experience it from a few thousand feet. And then, after your first solo you’ll never want to go back to just terra-firma + VR.

Remember to just enjoy being up there...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By bladerunner911
First proper lesson after my initial 'experience' flight cancelled yesterday :-(
Totally expected after watching Windy the whole week. Bad crosswinds, rain, clouds practically on the ground and lots of gusts!
So keen to get a few hours in to hopefully find out if the dodgy tummy feeling starts to fade, and really start learning!
I had a go in my VR sim with real weather to see what it was like - cloud base was at about 400 / 500 feet and the aircraft was bouncing around and yawing like a dinghy in a storm :lol:
Rescheduled for a couple of weeks so hopefully weather will be better.
I guess I will do some more study in the meantime :D
By Jfhandel
Hey bladerunner, welcome to the club! I did my PPL at Elstree about 20 years ago, but am just coming back into it after a long break via the NPPL/microlight route - coincidentally also in my late 40s. I actually live nearby - there’s a water tower visible from the airfield which apparently is about 5km as the crow flies - so good for checking visibility - and I live right next to it I second the above posters:

1. The sensory element of GA, especially when you’re starting out, is often overlooked. There you are in a little box 2000 feet in the air in a fairly alien environment. It’s a lot to take in - even flying straight and level. But you definitely do get used to it
2. I was pretty scared after having taken my first lesson. And then as soon as we were down I signed up for my next one, and there was no looking back. Revalidating I’m happy to admit I’m still half petrified and half thrilled.
3. Most of the syllabus is pretty gentle, stalls included (in fact with most benign handling training aircraft the most alarming thing about stalls is how much you have to abuse the aircraft to get it to stall in a clean configuration - stick/yoke jammed into your stomach, ridiculous nose high attitude). Again, the more experience you gain the more comfortable you’ll feel with the environment. The only really high-ish energy experience IMHO is spiral dive recovery.

Good luck with your learning - give us a wave whenever you’re overhead!
By Milty
Brilliant. Well done. Seems to be the day for some solos.

Enjoy the feeling. You’ll never do it again. Nice nod to the instructor - mine is brilliant and they deserve recognition.