Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By FlightDek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Take your time

Apart from the PFL and EFATO none of the other items have a time constraint. Before stalls, steep turns, etc pause and have a think about what is coming, then proceed when you're ready.

Don't worry about any mistakes. If you spot that you did something wrong, point this out to the examiner and say what you intend to do to correct it.

Remember, the examiner is not looking for a skygod. They want to see that you are competent and, more importantly, safe

Good luck :thumleft:
T6Harvard liked this
By lobstaboy
FlightDek wrote:Take your time

Apart from the PFL and EFATO none of the other items have a time constraint. Before stalls, steep turns, etc pause and have a think about what is coming, then proceed when you're ready.

Don't worry about any mistakes. If you spot that you did something wrong, point this out to the examiner and say what you intend to do to correct it.

Remember, the examiner is not looking for a skygod. They want to see that you are competent and, more importantly, safe

Good luck :thumleft:

This is very, very good advice. And remember that your instructor believes you are ready!
By WelshRichy
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
All the best, you'll do great.

You may have this link already but it is the CAA Standards Document for the Conduct of PPL/LAPL(A) Skills Tests which is a very handy document. Have a read of this, the document has tolerances in Appendix 2. These are a guide and the examiner will have discretion on. for example, high thermal days.

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?catid=1&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1206

Relax, take your time. Do not rush things. Go through your checks methodically. Remember your instructor wouldn't be putting you forward for a mock test or even the real thing unless they know you are completely ready.
T6Harvard liked this
If you suddenly find you can’t work out the reciprocal heading of 240, as I did on my skills test.

The examiner won’t mind if you say “oh dear”, and hold your pen up across the DI and say “06 isn’t it”

He’s looking for a safe pilot, not a sky god.

I also called I was joining downwind, just as another pilot did the same from another direction. I could see I was going to get there first, but it would be tight, so instead I called I was going to clear to the south and return.

After my test my examiner said he particularly liked that I accepted I was a less experienced pilot, gave myself room, and didn’t make it awkward for the other chap.

Same point again.

Examiner is on your side.

I was told it’s not like a driving test, remember you can’t be put forward for a skills test unless your CFI thinks you’ll pass. It was explained to me, it’s your FI that’s being tested really, not you.

If you fail, no one will look at you... they’ll look at your FI.
T6Harvard liked this