Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Fellsteruk
Hey all,

I’m off to EGBJ this weekend for a mock run prior to my XC, never been here before so I’m reading all the VFR guide info etc but curious if anyone has any tips about the airport I may find useful for the cross country.
Well you could start by calling it Staverton :thumright:

A really great GA airfield. Nothing complicated, helpful ATSU.

You won't have time to drop into the fab, Jet Age museum which is a shame. But post-qualification you can park your aeroplane directly outside.

Have fun.

Rob P
Cessna571 and 1 others liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Call the airport by phone before you set out select extension 223 and book in with your ETA. This should mean simpler radio calls with luck.

Get the ATIS about 15 miles out

Call approach about 10 miles out with student call sign and report rough position (e.g. overhead Worcester or 10 miles North East etc....,), altitude, the ATIS letter and QNH and request joining instructions, if both approach and tower frequencies are in use and your kit allows it select tower frequency in the standby slot on the radio'

Expect an over head join and a request to report at 3 to 5 miles when you will be handed over to Tower

Edit :

Gloucestershire airport is near the village of Staverton and used to be called Staverton.
T6Harvard, Andrew Sinclair and 1 others liked this
If it’s any help, I went to Gloucestershire for the first time under exactly the same circumstances and I can’t believe now that I was intimidated by all that ATC, but I was.

Lovely friendly place; good advice above. Try to predict the runway in use (ask when you call for PPR) so you can think about it before you get there (but do check when you get the ATIS that you are right: I’ve not yet landed on the wrong runway but I have started to position for it before, because I heard what I thought I was going to hear...)
T6Harvard and 1 others liked this
By Fellsteruk
Thanks all, I actually don’t mind full ATC all my training has been at Liverpool and hawarden. I like being told what to do, when you have to do it yourself, that worries me lol.

My main fear about EGBJ is how busy it seems and the many runways but all good advice. I guess if I get the runway when I request PPR and again with ATIS I should be good providing the overhead isn’t too busy :)

I found a great feature in sky demon which allows you to “make approaches” you tap the runway and join and it gives an overlay and where you should be which at new airfields is mega helpful.

If you see any news about some t#t landing on the wrong runway on Sunday... then Hello.... :lol:
T6Harvard liked this
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My QXC was to there back upon a time. Been back often.

Almost always is a little busy. But ATC generally have eyes on everyone which helps.

Make sure you’re good and happy with overhead joins - it almost always is one there. I like them because I find it helps with the number of runways - gives time to get oriented.

They’ll direct you on the ground through the miles of taxiways and it’s literally their job to help you. That is the point of ATC being there. So if you’re uncertain just ask. Plain English if need be.

Agree with getting the ATIS in plenty of time - you’ll probably be able to pick it far enough out that your workload won’t be too high yet and that’s a good move.

Likewise getting your frequencies ready early - basically anything that eases the workload as you’re joining.
T6Harvard liked this