Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By paulster
Hi all,

New to the forum, so hello everyone and thanks for having me.

I have just returned to training after a long break due to Covid and it feels great to get back in the air.
I am training for my NPPL (m) as this is really the only path that is affordable to me, plus, I have a local airstrip only 5 mins from my house.
Whilst I have only completed 5 hours training, I am starting to look at viable and economical aircraft that I could own. I have thought of shares in an syndicate but I am an engineer with 40yrs experience of working on everything from motorcycles, boats, plant and even doing pre-flight checks on a helicopter. So ideally, I'd like to do the majority if not all the maintenance possible to reduce costs further.

I understand some certain work has to be checked.

I am leaning towards maybe a Thruster or Xair? As them seem reasonably priced. but I know very little about them and would ideally like some advice from someone who has either flown or even better owned one? I am guessing they are a long way from what I am currently training in but cost is king.
Any help or advice would be appreciated. I am training in a C42 which is great aircraft, but well out of my price range.
Morten liked this
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Welcome to the forum :) :thumleft:
Leia will be along soon to endorse the frolics of microlights and the X'Air in particular. You can read more about that on her blog as well: https://leiafee.wordpress.com

Sounds like you're having fun. Keep your eyes open for local fly-ins and maybe suggest to your FI that you fly into one of them if it suits - or drive into one if more convenient. You'll be sure to see all sorts and meet many pilots and their aircraft and get thoughts/opinions (maybe even some actual advice, but be wary!) on everything aviation related (and non-aviation related...)
paulster liked this
By lobstaboy
Hello and welcome!
I've owned Xairs and Thrusters, taught on them both as well and on C42 and AX2000 and various other microlights.
You'll really enjoy a Thruster or an Xair. Yes a far cry from a C42 - way more fun!
Some things to note:
There are different marques of both, so you need to do a bit of research on types. Thrusters can be open cockpit or enclosed, tail or nosewheel for example.
There are lots of different engine options, some are best avoided. Jabiru, Rotax 503 or Rotax 582 are common. I'd avoid the others. Don't let people put you off the two-stroke Rotaxes, they will be fine for someone with a bit of a mechanical background.
PM me if you'd like to ask more specific questions.
I'm in Norfolk if that's any use?

PS Thrusters and AXs were factory built, Xairs are home build from kits so their standard of build can vary. How well they've been cared for is probably more important though
paulster liked this
By leiafee
X’Airs are docile as they come - you’ll have no boother at all with one if you’ve been training in an Ikarus.

They’re lovely little flying gocarts.

They’re slow and draggy but exceedingly robust.

Thrusters come in a rather wider selection of types again and both come with a shower of different engine and prop options.

They’re all easy to work on - everything hanging out in the breeze and they’re pretty common (as long as you don’t get one with an oddball outlier of an engine), so parts are normally easy and it also means almost any inspector will be familair with the type.

It is mildly tedious doing the premix of fuel and oil for those which need it but you soon get into the routine.

And they are cheap as chips.
By paulster
Thank you everyone for your comments and advice. I have also started reading your blog Leiafee. Great work ! and a great read.
Got another lesson booked for this Saturday and really looking forward to it, even if I never get my licence, I think I will still book a random lesson every now and again to get back up there :D

I'm sure it will happen in time. Thank you
T6Harvard, leiafee liked this
By T6Harvard
Welcome, Paul. You are joining the ranks of the addicted, as you know.

I am a very low hours mature student. Good and bad lessons, I still find it amazing that I am doing this.

Do keep us updated with your progress. There are some very helpful experienced pilots on the forum who will offer advice and encouragement along the way.

Enjoy!
paulster liked this
By paulster
I will ! I wish you well on your journey.
I am guessing there will be a lot of ups and downs with the learning curve, but if I can continue to enjoy it. It will all be worth while.
I’ve always wanted to be able to fly and be a pilot in command, I’ve just never had the means to do it. So now’s my chance.
T6Harvard liked this
By stevewarbs
Hi Paul

Where are you in the country. I am near Rugby with an X-air if you wanted to get a flight if and when the rules allow.
By paulster
Hi Steve,

Very kind offer ! Thank you but, unfortunately I live in Kent so quite some way from you.
Thank you though.