Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By MileHigh
After working throughout the last year of pandemic, I've really got to force myself to take some time away from work. I've got plenty of leave to use up by the end of the year. So I figured I should do a week's intensive gliding course.

Living in Northamptonshire, the obvious candidate is The Gliding Centre at Husbands Bosworth. But I've already had much of my 500-odd hours of fixed-wing microlight time in the local skies. It feels a bit boring covering rather flat ground that I'm already rather familiar with.

So I'm thinking it would make more sense to go for something residential further afield, maybe somewhere hilly to get a bit more 'mountain flying' experience to take back to my microlight flying. Does this make sense given my experience? Anywhere particular to recommend? Happy to travel, subject to accommodation on-site back up and running re: COVID-19.
By Rob P
I have had a few flights in gliders.

By far the most enjoyable was the one from The Long Mynd - Shropshire.

I know nothing of the club or its offerings. I just know it was spectacular.

Rob P
MileHigh wrote:So I'm thinking it would make more sense to go for something residential further afield, maybe somewhere hilly to get a bit more 'mountain flying' experience to take back to my microlight flying.

I suggest having a word with Deeside, where there's an annual mountain flying competition.

Alternatively Portmoak may be of interest.

IMO there is nothing quite like soaring in mountain wave, an incredibly surreal experience. :D
MileHigh liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:If you are a novice to gliding then going to a more hilly area may be pleasing on the eye but you are unlikely to make the same progress as when going to somewhere like the gliding centre.

Depends on what your aim is.

I don't think that's true FD. Hill sites are excellent for learning, including early attempts at soaring (thermal, ridge and wave).
The recommended ones above are all good. I'd add
Sutton Bank (Yorkshire)
Talgarth (Wales)
Camp Hill (Derbyshire)
Intensive courses are a great way to do it too, even if you don't want to go further with gliding.
Flyin'Dutch', MileHigh liked this
Miscellaneous wrote:@Flyin'Dutch' I read it that the OP specifically wants to fly in the mountains and has no intention of pursuing gliding. Although that could change. :wink:

I'm open minded about pursuing it further. I just figured a full-on week would give me a better idea than a handful of short one-off taster flights. Perhaps mountains is the wrong word, but a better understanding of air masses over hills big and small would be useful. I've had fun flying through valleys with the hills above but need either calm winds or a very good idea of where the up and down drafts are.
I’m not into gliding but my son is, and he’d definitely second the recommendation for the Midland Gliding Club on the Long Mynd in Shropshire.
Totally biased, as those hills are our family's spiritual home (even if only the grandparents actually live there!)