Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
editmonkey wrote:So up I went again. Very little nerves this time - or at least just the good kind that keep you focussed. I did 4 circuits on my own, the most yet. What was interesting this time was that the circuit suddenly got very busy, which I've never had to deal with before.

Good stuff. Are you doing glide approaches yet?
By editmonkey
TopCat wrote: Are you doing glide approaches yet?

Next week, we were going to do one today but the emergency procedures took up time.

I've just looked back at my footage - you know when I said the 5 dual landings were good....? Well, one of them was good lol
By editmonkey
bladerunner911 wrote:A great post, I enjoyed reading that during my lunch break!
"It's like getting the keys to your dad's car" made me LOL :-)

Haha, excellent. It really was like, "Right go up and have some fun, be back for 11.20 and I'll be in the clubhouse if you need me'.

Very liberating!
bladerunner911 liked this
By TopCat
editmonkey wrote:Here's the link to my vid - I apologise in advance to the flying gods for those first few landings :oops:

https://vimeo.com/574913370?fbclid=IwAR ... 480EQhrKo8

They weren't terrible. A little squirrelly but not awful.

I'd take a bit more time opening the throttle though on the 'go' part of the touch and go. It looked from the video that you were pretty much banging it wide open.

It shouldn't take less than about 2s to fully open the throttle from fully closed, and should be smooth. You've got loads more time than you think, as you're already almost at flying speed.

Kudos for posting the video though. And the last landing wasn't bad at all. :thumleft:
T6Harvard liked this
By editmonkey
Ahh you're very kind @topcat, thank you!

That first one I can't stop giggling at - the stall horns - it's almost as if the aeroplane is going "what the f---!?". I've never been pitched so as to here them on a landing before! :lol:

For the throttles, yeah I totally hear you. I've just been taught 'Big hands, get the throttle open and the carb heat closed and don't mess about'. Looking at the vid it does look like I welly them in doesn't it?
By TopCat
editmonkey wrote:That first one I can't stop giggling at - the stall horns - it's almost as if the aeroplane is going "what the f---!?". I've never been pitched so as to hear them on a landing before! :lol:

Hmm. It should have been - every time :guns:

If the stall warner is working, and you don't hear it sounding continuously for several seconds before touch down,, and just after (ie before you lower* the nose), then you're landing too fast.

The stall warner is usually set to sound about 5-10 knots above the stall. So if you don't hear it, you're going quite a bit too fast.
___
'Lower', not 'plonk' :wink:
lobstaboy liked this
By T6Harvard
That was certainly a bit of a workout :thumleft:
Well done, both on the landings and the radio! CAP413 does allow straightforward English if nec and common sense won out so everyone was safe :D .

I'll report my lesson later on 'my' thread. Several unexpected things on the ground, all good learning points, and NOT circuits 'cos it was too gusty :mrgreen:
By bladerunner911
Awesome video! It's so cool to watch someone at this stage of learning.
It's weird as well - it feels like we are spying at the secret aviation olympics.
"Ooh the Belgian judge has given a 7 here..."
I had this image of all the jusges stood at the side of the runway with their big score cards held up high as you go past :lol:
Thanks so much for sharing, I think you are doing brilliantly and it's great to learn from watching others.
We are so lucky to be learning to fly aeroplanes :thumright:
T6Harvard, editmonkey liked this
By T6Harvard
@editmonkey Thanks for the link to the vid.

It's odd seeing it from that perspective, having just done my lesson. Can I just say this - my Instructor doesn't hold on to the coaming when I am doing my approach... :lol:

Seriously, it was brave of you to put it up but really good to see. Keep having fun!
editmonkey liked this
By editmonkey
Lol, thank you! Yeah my wife asked the same thing… ‘why does he keep bracing himself?’ :lol:

It’s a weird circuit this one btw. Because there are several noise abatement areas the circuit is like a normal circuit rotated thro 90 degrees, elongated out in the crosswind direction. The turn to crosswind happens at about 200ft or 3 if I annoy the villagers, and with two people means you’re usually still climbing into the downwind leg, and can’t get configured until your almost on top of the final turn. And instead of it being at 5/600 ft, it’s about 7 or 800 feet. It’s tricky and feels like a lot of judging by feel and by landmarks.

Good though, keeps you away from the instruments and out of the cockpit. I’m enjoying it immensely. I’m hoping after next week that’ll be my mandated 2 hours solo circuits done though (or is it 3?) and I can get a temporary reprieve back up into the sky! I’m champing at the bit to start some nav work. Or even just to pole it about for a bit!

@bladerunner911

Haha, yes - those judges are real inside my head. I’ll never judge an airline pilot’s landing again
Last edited by editmonkey on Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
By TopCat
editmonkey wrote:It’s a weird circuit this one btw. Because there are several noise abatement areas the circuit is like a normal circuit rotated thro 90 degrees, elongated out in the crosswind direction.

Remind me again where you're learning?
By Rob P
editmonkey wrote:Lol, thank you! Yeah my wife asked the same thing… ‘why does he keep bracing himself?’/usermention]

Is he not just getting his hand in a position where he can easily take control should any student threaten to wipe the nosewheel off?

Nice video, it brought the horrors and frustration of endless circuits back so clearly (and that was over thirty years ago for me)

Rob P