Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By editmonkey
Thought I'd start a new thread now that I've graduated from 'New' to 'Novice' :)

Lesson #2 today, and it was absolutely brilliant. Lots and lots of learning. Brace for a bit of a long blether:

The weather was officially CAVOK but the haze was murky and we had no horizon for the duration of the flight other than an occassional glimpse when headed (and squinting) towards the coast. But after reading the other thread on here last night it was useful to experience a very slight 'goldfish bowl' effect in the distance to see what it actually means.

My first *proper* lesson was climbs and descents, but also had a rude introduction to human factors. The kids were up at 6.30 this morning so I had my brekkie early. I thought it would see me through as my lesson was at 11, but it was busy on the circuit and my FI was late in, so by the time we got out to the field it was after 12 and I was starving. I was sensible enough to grab a kitkat from the school shop and was fine throughout the lesson but had to orbit a few times coming in, my rudder was non-existent, and between the out of balance orbit, the mask, the sun through the window, low blood sugar, adrenaline and some significant chop - let's just say I was green when I left the aircraft. Lesson learned. Eat in advance and use the rudder. :mrgreen:

The briefing covered the route which would take us over Durham and the climb/descent drills we'd be doing. Went over PAT and APT and I did a double take when he asked if I wanted to do the take off, with him following on the controls. Absolutely!

My checklist practice around my bed at home paid off and I was confident with the externals, other than not getting the latch quite right on the cowling. But the FI left me to do the starboard checks while he sorted something out and I got brownie points for picking up a slightly low oil level and a cracked fairing.

I followed along on the radio this time and picked up much more of the ATC clearance than last week, so next week he's letting me do the taxi and take off clearances myself... gulp! (Although he is kindly going to write me a little script).

Then I taxyed out to the runway. I'm really comfortable now with the groundwheel control and can follow the taxi lines no problem, but the brakes had me stymied. When it came to stopping for the pre-takeoff checks my feet became 'confused' and my FI had to jump on the brakes. The instinct is to go right-foot down like in a car, so we turned a bit too far rather than stopping!

We got our clearance and I taxyed onto the threshold. It's all a bit of a blur now because I was so pumped, but I'm sure there were some mag checks, and then I was asked to apply full throttle and up we went. She took herself off with only a litte back pressure and I didn't know just how much it would pull to the left, so it took a bit of 'play' to find the correct right-rudder pressure to correct, but I held the centre line and the best rate of climb speed and had to stop myself whooping that I'd just aced my first t/o 8)

FI took us out of the ATZ with the amount of traffic about but then I was in control for most of the lesson. We did a series of climbs, powered descents and glides. It was REALLY tricky without a horizon for reference and I found it difficult to find straight and level. It was also very choppy, and I'm finding the Tomahawk gets chucked around like a leaf - which is also brilliant fun. A couple of times I was in a shallow turn and all of a sudden it would lurch over, and it felt like we were being rolled. There was a definite conscious effort to fight the urge to swing her back with the yoke. Unlike last week though where my hands were like rigour mortice on the yolk, this time I kept my grip light with one hand on the power, and it felt much easier to ride along with the rolls and bumps, rather than trying to steer and overcorrect.

It was the same with the air and vert speeds. My instructor would ask me to level off and trim to 90kts but she was getting blown about, the IAS was jumping between 80 and 95 and back again, the VSI was up and down and I found it really challenging to find trim in all the turbulence. But just as the lesson was ending it kinda clicked and I was finding the coarse adjustments easier and starting to get the hang of fine tuning.

We turned and headed for home after what felt like about 5 mins of flying but was actually almost an hour. I was allowed to fly the headings, and at some point along the way the instructor congratulated me for trimming straight and level, which I hadn't realised I'd done, and I executed a gliding descended to 1500ft before levelling off and holding in a series of orbits waiting for the traffic. Which is where I began to turn green I think. (It's also lovely and cool up at 5000ft compared to 1000 isn't it?)

I think it was here that I learned about task saturation! I was holding the turn, focussing on keeping it at 20 degs, focussing on not losing height, focussing on keeping the airspeed, looking out for other a/c. We had seperation from ATC but both spotted another plane that was circling quite close, and out orbits were in sync so that it was...eek... getting bigger and staying put in the windscreen. We passed it safely but when I looked at the altimeter I'd lost 200ft without realising! My instructor had spotted it obviously, but it was a lesson in plate spinning (or plate dropping!). He was pleased I'd spotted it at all.

I have no idea how I'll ever be able to navigate, or even hold a conversation with ATC while keeping the thing in the air. I know I will, of course, but at the moment everything seems incredibly conscious and taxing on the mental resources.

The last buzz of the day was getting to land (well, kind of :)) I controlled the heading and the airspeed with pitch, my instructor controlled the power, and I did the flare at the end. I managed to hold the centreline, became so thrilled that I'd actually hit the runway that un-flared a bit too soon, there was a little bounce, but it was all very gentle and that was it!

The main takeaways from my instructor were that I tended to turn slightly when trimming, which he thinks is just a patting head/rubbing tummy problem, and that I just need to work on finding trim. Next week I get to do the takeoff and climb out, and then more climbs and descents for me, with some straight and level built in.

Some other brand new students at the school today so made a couple of pals too which was really nice.

It was a tremebdously fun day and it's doubly cool that I get on really well with my instructor. But I feel absolutely wiped out now. Roll on lesson 3!!

Chris
Last edited by editmonkey on Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Morten, bladerunner911, T6Harvard and 2 others liked this
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Loved reading this.

Pretty good for second lesson - very well done. Some cracking lessons learned - eat before flying is so important, and seeing what bad vis looks like, likewise.

The workload does feel unbelievable initially, but I promise you, it will settle down as the basics become more automatic and you have head space remaining for thinking.

I went through a phase when I was a student, where I literally thought I would not be capable of doing it all, and it was pretty depressing to think that I might have to give up.

That phase seems several months long in my memory, but from my logbook it was about 5 lessons (so about three weeks). This started just after starting navigation (when I couldn't do anything right any more) to my first solo trip away from the circuit.

I frequently drove home with a blinding headache from the intensity of the lessons, and the nausea brings back some unpleasant memories too. That also wears off I'm glad to say :)

Keep the reports coming in... :thumleft: :thumleft:
T6Harvard liked this
By editmonkey
Thanks very much TopCat!

Yeah it does feel like, how the hell will I ever be able to do all of these things at once AND figure out where I am?!

But at the moment I'm thoroughly enjoying being a novice and learning. I'm glad the nausea passes, that one got me a bit worried today. I'm still knackered now, it's incredibly taxing what with the adrenaline going too.

Here's a question for you... in the logbook remarks is it permissable to put brief thoughts on the flights or is that section just for 'technical' notes such as exercises completed, events that happened etc?
T6Harvard liked this
By TopCat
editmonkey wrote:Here's a question for you... in the logbook remarks is it permissable to put brief thoughts on the flights or is that section just for 'technical' notes such as exercises completed, events that happened etc?

You can write anything you like in the remarks section. But it's very small. You might want to have a separate diary of some kind to look back on. I wish I had.

Not so bothered with a detailed diary of flights these days, although I often record the route with turning points if they're interesting for any reason. Also I'll stick in the initials of passengers to remind me who I've taken.

Some of the early ones bring back a smile, even from the very brief comments.

For example:

4/9/94. "90 degree bank angle"
17/9/94. "8000' over cloud tops on IOW"
24/11/96 "Lightning over the channel"

oh, and very special...

1/1/97. "+VHA"

VHA is my mum. It was her only flight. Ever.
editmonkey liked this
By Fellsteruk
Great read thanks for sharing love reading people’s excitement about flying and I’m chuffed you had fun some lessons do wipe you out so much to do and focus on :)

Good luck with lesson three, four, five etc
T6Harvard, editmonkey liked this
By T6Harvard
Brilliant write up, @editmonkey . You win the prize for writing more than me, as well :lol:
It's great to read.

I was so wiped out after my first lesson back I had an afternoon nap :lol: So I know what you mean!

I'll stick my Monday lesson on my thread tomorrow, after tomorrow's lesson, IYSWIM. Monday was not my finest but I have written it up as an aide memoir. Looking back I was pretty tired on Monday (ie, a very busy 7 days leading up, not lack of sleep, but definitely some fatigue), and my capacity bucket just had a tiny drop too much added and it all overflowed into a mess. I can and have done better so I was very annoyed with myself

In a determined effort, I have spent all evening revising climbing and descending at various speeds. I was feeling the pressure as I held the nose down, etc :mrgreen:

Enjoy the buzz!!
By editmonkey
TopCat wrote:
editmonkey wrote:
4/9/94. "90 degree bank angle"
17/9/94. "8000' over cloud tops on IOW"
24/11/96 "Lightning over the channel"

oh, and very special...

1/1/97. "+VHA"

Lovely! Nice to be able to look back and remember those flights I bet. I'm definitely going to keep myself a flight diary to remember this by.

But 90 degree bank....? Were you doing aerobatics? :shock:
By editmonkey
T6Harvard wrote:Brilliant write up, @editmonkey . You win the prize for writing more than me, as well :lol:
It's great to read.

I was so wiped out after my first lesson back I had an afternoon nap :lol: So I know what you mean!

I'll stick my Monday lesson on my thread tomorrow, after tomorrow's lesson, IYSWIM. Monday was not my finest but I have written it up as an aide memoir. Looking back I was pretty tired on Monday (ie, a very busy 7 days leading up, not lack of sleep, but definitely some fatigue), and my capacity bucket just had a tiny drop too much added and it all overflowed into a mess. I can and have done better so I was very annoyed with myself

In a determined effort, I have spent all evening revising climbing and descending at various speeds. I was feeling the pressure as I held the nose down, etc :mrgreen:

Enjoy the buzz!!

Ha! Thanks T6 - I do tend to go on a bit about the things I love doing :)

I'm really aware that I'm in a honeymoon period right now though, and I'm trying not to get overconfident. I'm sure at some point over the next few weeks the novelty will become a steep learning curve and there'll be trials as well as tribulations. Wouldn't be fun if it was easy, right? Don't be too hard on yourself - nothing worthwhile comes without setbacks :)

Man, do I feel listless today. The sky is blue, barely a breath of wind and here I am at my computer... :(
Last edited by editmonkey on Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
T6Harvard liked this
By TopCat
editmonkey wrote:But 90 degree bank....? Were you doing aerobatics? :shock:

No. :)

I'd done lots of steep turns, at 60 degrees of bank, so what's another 30 degrees between friends?

It was pretty weird looking up at the wing, which of course (because of the dihedral) was a bit beyond the vertical.

As you obviously realise, you can't remain level at 90 degrees of bank (well, not in my aeroplane), so I just rolled back again after a few seconds, pointing down a bit.

No drama, all the controls continue to work, even at funny attitudes. :)

I was quite experimental, back in the day. After I got my licence I practised all kinds of things on my own, pushing the envelope out a little bit at a time. The key to doing that safely is push only a tiny bit at a time, and always to have a quick route back to the familiar.
editmonkey liked this
By editmonkey
I love the thought of experimenting with the flying. One of the things I'm coming to love is the aeroplane itself, and it's exciting finding out what it can and can't do. (That little T-tail wobble in slow flight is, apparently, a thing to be afeared :))

I asked the FI (hopefully) if we would eventually do any spin training. He looked at me like I was mental, told me to go away and Google traumahawk. :lol:

But I think it's good to push things carefully and see where the boundaries are, otherwise you never know how far you can safely go, right?
T6Harvard liked this
By TopCat
editmonkey wrote:But I think it's good to push things carefully and see where the boundaries are, otherwise you never know how far you can safely go, right?

Indeed. A small amount at a time, provided that the boundaries you're exploring are your own skills and confidence. I'm not advocating approaching the boundaries of what the aeroplane is capable of.

I'm sure I don't need to say this, but I will anyway...

Don't even think about teaching yourself to spin, or about spinning in an aircraft not certified for spinning. Or any other aeros either, as borked ones can lead to a spin even if you don't break the aeroplane.

The spin, unlike just about all other manoeuvres that don't involve stalled wings, is not something you can build up to a little bit at a time, and then back off from a little bit at a time.

I've never spun a Tomahawk (though I have stalled one, and given what people say about the PA38 stall, was a little unimpressed), but I believe that it absolutely requires correct recovery action.

Your instructor doesn't sound like the ideal guy for spin awareness training, by the way :)
By Morten
Sounds mostly good to me. Having fun within limits can only teach you more and gives satisfaction whilst it does so.

Yes to exploring and expanding your envelope. That doesn't have to involve spinning a Tomahawk but could be something as simple as flying a different aircraft or flying it from the other seat. Or getting some aeros in a suitably capable aircraft. By the time I did my skills test, I had flown more than half a dozen aircraft across 3 continents, including a taildragger - I combined some leisure and work travel with local flights and had a blast. May not work for everyone - horses for courses.

But I would be careful about exploring the envelope of your aircraft, though. That envelope was designed and verified by a test pilot on brand new aircraft typically decades ago. The envelope may not be where it once was and if you go beyond it you become the test pilot, which may not be good news. Absolutely expand your handling skills but I'd suggest doing it on an aircraft which always remains more capable than you are and always within its limits.
None of which to say that you shouldn't spin a Tomahawk - but maybe not as the first 'exploration' you do and by the sounds of it with someone other than your FI. Your FI is probably excellent at teaching you to fly but may never have done any aeros...

No need to go for full aeros either. Maybe ask your FI to do some lazy eights or chandelles instead... less exciting than a spin, but they will probably hone your skills more than a spin recovery.
editmonkey liked this
By TopCat
Morten wrote:But I would be careful about exploring the envelope of your aircraft, though. That envelope was designed and verified by a test pilot on brand new aircraft typically decades ago. The envelope may not be where it once was

Other than engine performance, what did you have in mind here?
No need to go for full aeros either. Maybe ask your FI to do some lazy eights or chandelles instead... less exciting than a spin, but they will probably hone your skills more than a spin recovery.

Yes, and no reason not to self-teach these if you're that way inclined - again cautiously and a little at a time - once you're very confident with stall recognition and recovery, and have some finesse with the controls.
By editmonkey
TopCat wrote:
Don't even think about teaching yourself to spin, or about spinning in an aircraft not certified for spinning. Or any other aeros either, as borked ones can lead to a spin even if you don't break the aeroplane.

Noooo! Believe me, I'm all for pushing boundaries of skills and knowledge but definitely not planning to test the limits of an aeroplane or step outside of my safe limits. I'm quite content to stick to climbs and descents for the time being and until I can afford aeros lessons. Maybe a few turns with a bit of rudder if I feel particularly ambitious next week. :)

TopCat wrote:
Your instructor doesn't sound like the ideal guy for spin awareness training, by the way :)

Oh no , he was quite prepeared to admit not being the person teach me spinning :)
TopCat liked this
By editmonkey
Morten wrote:
I had flown more than half a dozen aircraft across 3 continents, including a taildragger - I combined some leisure and work travel with local flights and had a blast. May not work for everyone - horses for courses.

Something I hadn't thought of, I do quite a bit of travel and when things open up this might be a cost effective way of getting a few hours in. How does that work in, say, the US? If I did a flying lesson in the States, does that count towards my logged PPL hours with it being a different aviation authority? I imagine not...