Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
editmonkey wrote:We practiced spacial disorientation, he asked me to close my eyes, then he flew it through a series of turns, descents and climbs and asked me to say what I thought the plane was doing. Of course I was totally wrong and it felt very discombobulating.

I had an instructor do this to me once on an IMC refresher training flight. I got it spot on, correct, every time. In the end he gave up, looked at me, shook his head and said, "You're weird." :D

When I initially did my IMC rating, it was recovery from unusual attitudes under the hood which convinced me I could possibly try aerobatics. Until then I'd really not been a fan of unusual attitudes when able to see out. With my instructor putting us into more and more extreme attitudes but with me not being able to see out, I could calmly return the aeroplane to straight and level. Thus unusual attitudes lost their scariness.
By editmonkey
Ha, that's funny :lol: Well I got that we were level but thought we were in a left bank and we were actually going right.

It was the same with me. We did a couple with the hood off so I could see the lag in the instruments and adverse movement of the VSI, and that gave me the jitters. much more than with the hood on. Lots of fun, I'd definitely like to have a go at aeros.
By editmonkey
Prompted into doing some long overdue Air Law revision today and was digging into the AICs. One of the questions on a mock test was about the colour coding. Except... when you access the AIC on the NATS site, they're not in the least bit colour coded. Is this an anachronism or are they actually still printed somewhere on coloured paper?
By editmonkey
Yep that’s the page I was referring to. But when you open the docs to print (if you needed to do that), they’re not coloured at all. Just curious.
By GrahamB
editmonkey wrote:Yep that’s the page I was referring to. But when you open the docs to print (if you needed to do that), they’re not coloured at all. Just curious.

Pre-internet, when everything was hard copy distributed by post, sections were printed on different colour paper stock.
editmonkey liked this
By editmonkey
A great session today, perfect vis and a stunning day for flying, gorgeous views out over the North Sea. Lots of pillowcase clouds up at about 2000ft, really choppy in the heat - at times I felt more like a glider pilot as the thermals ballooned me upwards, except I was fighting to keep the aeroplane down rather than up!

More circuits. It's been a couple of weeks so the first few dual circuits were a little sketchy as the rust came off, landings were variably a little too fast, a little too steep, too much momentum, but safe enough to get out solo for 45 mins and then things came together.

Still wracks my nerves going up on my own - kind of like going on a huge rollercoaster but with real jeopardy, and I'm still not sure whether that's actually the thing that attracts me to it despite misgivings when the instructor hops out with a smile! Anyway, did 6 touch and goes and the landings came together just lovely, I was really happy with all of them. My accuracy needs some work - often losing 100ft or so during pre landing checks when the carb heat goes on, and sometimes gaining 100 ft or so on crosswind with the thermals (or once or twice as I slightly relaxed into the brief cruise, took my eye off the ball and allowed myself to take in the view).

One nervy moment, I knew I had a couple of hours of fuel, had checked the tanks, but in the chop the fuel needles were bouncing around and pretty much useless. I glanced at the fuel on downwind - just as I hit an updraft and the needles both hit 'E' at the same time. That gave me a somewhat squeaky bottom... had I screwed the caps on properly? :lol:

But I got out today and three different people commented on how impressed they were with the landings, it made me glow, although I'm not going to let it go to my head because pride before the fall from 1000ft would probably hurt, briefly. It's a proper credit to my instructor - he's a very good and patient teacher.

35 minutes left and I can graduate from circuits into the nav exes. :D

Found myself talking about flying to my dad the other day and I felt myself gushing about it. I honestly can't think of anything I've done in my life previously that has been so simultaneously engaging, challenging and enjoyable. Days like today... what it's all about.
Last edited by editmonkey on Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tr7v8, Milty liked this
By TopCat
editmonkey wrote:I honestly can't think of anything I've done in my life previously that has been so simultaneously engaging, challenging and enjoyable. Days like today... what it's all about.

I get this. I remember the often spine-tingling experience of flying when I was learning and in the years after, that's like nothing else I've ever done too.

Flying gives us a remarkable blend of simultaneous experiences on some of the most important levels we exist in as human beings - physical, emotional, intellectual, and at times spiritual.

It's no wonder it can be so addictive.
editmonkey liked this
By T6Harvard
OMG, yes, @editmonkey and @TopCat ... that's it, isn't it?
It is so (insert expletive of choice here) amazing!

I was chatting with some young women student pilots about 10 days ago and what struck me most was how their faces actually lit up as they spoke about flying. Honestly, I wished it was on video as a tonic for gloomy times. It was sheer joy.

I'm glad to hear you are back in the sky @editmonkey , I was wondering when your next lesson was as I set a reminder to book October's lessons first thing tomorrow.
I am also glad you mentioned losing 100' or so while carb heat is out. Guess who else got pulled up for that :mrgreen: Only in my case it was because I was wallowing around the sky, apparently :roll:

I imagine that if I get through my PPL I'll find the CPL tighter margins pretty easy :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, it is great to read your reports. Keep up the good work!
editmonkey liked this
By editmonkey
Thanks @T6Harvard . Yeah it's very special isn't it? Was lovely to get back up, been really tricky with the school hols, family stuff going on etc, and then work picks up again next week so I think the flying is going to be subordinated for a while :(

Wallowing around the sky, ha ! Love it. Sounds like a nice way to spend an afternoon TBH :)
T6Harvard liked this
By editmonkey
Green with envy. My main client just booked me 5 days a week for the next month. On the one hand, work, yay! On the other… work, booooooo! Can I sneak away for a few flying hours on quiet days without anyone noticing? Watch this space.
tr7v8, T6Harvard liked this